FireFox extremely slow to open?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Any ideas out there? After a reboot the first opening of a FireFox browser page takes forever. Once one is open, subsequent ones open very quickly. It's just that first one. On the other hand, I can open Outlook Express, after a reboot, and it opens right up.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You might need to reset firefox Boom, here is what I found on their help pages about slow start up, normally it has to do with the add ons you have installed.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-takes-long-time-start-up

That is a real rabbit warren of possible actions. I already use the default home page and do not have a lot of add-ons, that I know of. I guess I should just try the RESET button? It is a real PITA waiting for that first browser to open.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A little late to this one, Boom - But is it still opening slow? And what version of Firefox? 35.0 is the latest.

southkogs

Staff member
You don't have one of those browser "tool bars" installed do you Boom? Those crazy things are killers, like trying to play shuffleboard in molasses.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
A little late to this one, Boom - But is it still opening slow? And what version of Firefox? 35.0 is the latest.

Yeah, GA, that is what I have. This is on XP and I am constantly getting FF updates. The slowness has existed for many generations past.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You don't have one of those browser "tool bars" installed do you Boom? Those crazy things are killers, like trying to play shuffleboard in molasses.

No tool bars that I know of sk, other than the menu bar at the top of the page.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It sounds like something is installed that is creating the bottleneck, I have FF on my XP machines and they all open pretty quickly, you might go through your control panel and check programs to see what all is installed on your machine that could be running in the background.

southkogs

Staff member
It sounds like something is installed that is creating the bottleneck, I have FF on my XP machines and they all open pretty quickly, you might go through your control panel and check programs to see what all is installed on your machine that could be running in the background.
^^^ Kinda' what I'm thinkin' too.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

How in Heavens name would I know that. This machine does not have a lot of stuff on it and what little has been added in recent times has still post dated the opening speed problem I described. Keep in mind, it is only the first opening. All subsequent browser pages open lickety split.

southkogs

Staff member
Every once in a while on my Windows side, I'll open up the "UNINSTALL / REMOVE A PROGRAM" control panel, and make sure I don't see a program that I don't recognize. You can also open the task manager and see what processes are running and make sure there's nothing weird going on there.

dolluper

Captain
Boom do you have Ccleaner on that rig...ifn so new version ,start up cc and go to the tools section of menu ,then click startup you can disable or enable anything there .....anything that looks strange disable then try ...no difference go back and enable ...till you find the beast