squealing automotive belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert graham

Admiral
My Buick Roadmaster with the 350 V8 has 2 grooved belts, one serpentine and another that runs the power steering pump....both have spring-loaded idler pulleys. .......the belts look fine but still have some squealing especially in the mornings....I've sprayed both belts with Prestone Belt Dressing and have tried some silicone anti-squeal, but they still squeal some. I'm considering just cleaning both belts with Purple Power or Carb Cleaner to strip off all products and start with clean belts....Or....have new belts installed. But like I said, they both look fine. Any ideas on the best course of action to stop this squealing?.....I used to use a bar of soap on the old V-belts but these are multi-V design....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like you need to have the alignment checked on the pulleys, I have had that happen in the past, not enough to see, but just enough to make them squeal. Also with serpentine belts, they can still look good and be worn out, been done that one a couple of times as well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Whenever I get a belt that chirps, it's a sign I need a new belt. I usually change mine every 2/3 years so I usually never have that issue anyway.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
^^^+1
Its not always the belt, bearings could be about to go out/or just dried out on any thing that the belt drives.
To check the belt remove it look at the inside while squeezing it and see if there are cracking between the grooves.

robert graham

Admiral
Well, honestly I haven't routinely replaced these belts since the modern multi-V belts with the tensioners seem to have long trouble-free lives.....so they are both several years old.....guess I'll just get the old check book out and have them replaced tomorrow....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Or do it yourself. On all of my cars it takes around 5 minutes.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And if you forget how they were routed, there should be a sticker on the radiator cowl, or thereabouts, showing a diagram on how to put them back on properly....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
^^^+1
Its not always the belt, bearings could be about to go out/or just dried out on any thing that the belt drives.
To check the belt remove it look at the inside while squeezing it and see if there are cracking between the grooves.

NAPA told me, that showing checking is not always a sign of a worn out belt, they recommend taking it off and bringing to them so they can measure to see how much out of spec it is by putting it on their belt machine.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I recently had a rear bearing go out on my alternator and there was a very subtle squeaky noise on the belt but nothing you would associate with a squealing belt. Once I removed the serpentine belt, I also noticed that both the idler pulley AND the tensioner pulley were a little suspect. They both still worked, but not completely smoothly like I thought they should have. So I replace both the tensioner and idler pulleys at the same time I replaced the alternator bearing that was powdered but still turned fairly easy as well. WOW what a completely different sound from the engine when I started it up. Totally quiet and smooth as silk. So even pulleys that are still working can be problems awaiting for you when you're down some lonely road to stop you in your tracks... By the way, those pulleys can have their bearings replaced with readily replaceable common bearings, but as cheap as new pulleys are, I just change both pulleys. JMHO!

robert graham

Admiral
Or do it yourself. On all of my cars it takes around 5 minutes.

Yep, I can easily do the serpentine on my Mustang but the Buick has a knuckle busting working area....I'll get my mechanic on it in the morning....but the belts do look mostly like new now....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
NAPA told me, that showing checking is not always a sign of a worn out belt, they recommend taking it off and bringing to them so they can measure to see how much out of spec it is by putting it on their belt machine.

You bring it in, then they would tell you it's out of spec so you by one from NAPA............. If my belts are checking I replace them....... :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You bring it in, then they would tell you it's out of spec so you by one from NAPA............. If my belts are checking I replace them....... :)

No, actually the last time I needed a belt, I had them check and I went down the street and purchased from another auto parts store that was less expensive! Of course I do it to the other parts store as well, when I know that NAPA is less expensive, I really do take advantage of the stores free testing services. A lot of times, I will take my part to the local store to be tested and then end up buying the part on the internet, cause most of the times it is so much less expensive, or they have to order it, if they gotta order it, then I can order it myself. That said, I do try to give the local boys the business, but sometimes it is real difficult when the price difference is so much!

robert graham

Admiral
I just went out to the garage, started the engine and thoroughly sprayed both belts with carb cleaner, then it really started squealing....then I sprayed both belts with silicone and the belts are totally quiet now....we'll see how long they're squeal-free and then maybe replace them both in a few days if they start back....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just went out to the garage, started the engine and thoroughly sprayed both belts with carb cleaner, then it really started squealing....then I sprayed both belts with silicone and the belts are totally quiet now....we'll see how long they're squeal-free and then maybe replace them both in a few days if they start back....
At least you ruled out your tensioner.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Silicone is a great lubricant.....given that a belt operates by friction, lubricating them is not something I'd do.
All it accomplishes is hushing the sound of the belt slipping....which is your original problem.
Belt dressing, maybe.

Belts are a replacement item, and don't last forever. If you are wasting time tinkering with them, it's time for new ones.IMO.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No, actually the last time I needed a belt, I had them check and I went down the street and purchased from another auto parts store that was less expensive! Of course I do it to the other parts store as well, when I know that NAPA is less expensive, I really do take advantage of the stores free testing services. A lot of times, I will take my part to the local store to be tested and then end up buying the part on the internet, cause most of the times it is so much less expensive, or they have to order it, if they gotta order it, then I can order it myself. That said, I do try to give the local boys the business, but sometimes it is real difficult when the price difference is so much!

You're probably the exception. I'm sure a lot of people would buy from NAPA since they are there already. I was using "you" as a general term, not you specifically, MT. :) I try to give the local guys business too, but as mentioned, I'm going to go for the best deal too.

Unfortunately, mom and pop stores can't compete. That's why a bunch of Walmarts pop up everywhere.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I too purchase tons of things on line, but it usually depends on the item, the time I need it, and the local price. IF the local price is within a few dollars of the online price, the local store will get my business. However, If the local price is twice the online price, I can also wait... Auto parts are such items so often in my book. But make sure the online part is the exact same as the local part OR BETTER. I have had experiences with China-Knockoffs they were total junk and lost all my money for buying them...cheaply. Lesson learned!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I agree gm. If I need something now I'll buy it local no matter what the price. Otherwise, I'm a big Summit fan.......

Status
Not open for further replies.