AIR HORNS

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I recently purchased a set of GABRIELO TRUMPET air horns, solid brass trumpets and cast bronze bodies. The smaller is +_ 17" and the larger +_22".

Can't get them to 'trumpet'. Disassembled to find two circular brass shims with large hole in the center. Freed the adjusting screw but no matter the volume of air or set of the screw, no sound.
Tried a Google search for parts, diagrams, anything...no luck.
Any of you folks have suggestions, ideas?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Can you post a picture of them I have had some experience with air horns, they can be real finicky.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to watch this thread because air horns would be neat on a boat in my opinion. I have never worked on air horns but even electric car horns are interesting. Depending how far in or out the setscrew is, the horn will not work. As you thread that setscrew in (or out) it will start blowing and change pitch. So I will be watching this...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Horns are really finicky to play with based on that adjustment screws as well as the air pressure on air driven horns, it is a balancing act to get them working right, and I have rarely seen them set up correctly from the factory because they normally are set at the factory based on the elevations of the factory, the last set I bought was set up at about 100 feet above sea level and I live at 4416 feet above sea level. I had to do a lot of adjusting on those to get them to work right.

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post some images of the horns and the horn guts.

The Kahlenberg Chimetone D-1 Air Horns I installed on my boat never need tuning or calibration.

The sound on these horns is amazing. These are loud and sound terrific.

The polishing and chrome plating are second to none. This is some serious eye candy, taking the pressure off of me for being the primary eye candy on the boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, any one of those sets would double my boat's worth... I'm afraid to even see the price tags. :facepalm:

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Someday I'd like a set of these,.....
The Nathan Airchime K5LA horns are top quality and Hornblasters is an outstanding vendor, I have purchased many parts from them and I would not hesitate to recommend them for any / all of their products.

The concern I have w/ the Airchime on a boat is those are cast aluminum, w/ stainless fasteners. My concern is corrosion. There are powder coated examples of those horns that look really nice, w/ a high gloss. The powder coated horns would probably be fine on a boat.

Talk to the guys at Hornblasters. They would know if there are any issues.

nathan-airchime-k5-back.jpg

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOW, any one of those sets would double my boat's worth... I'm afraid to even see the price tags. :facepalm:
The horns, the air supply and the air distribution can get pricy.

This topic is the information on my horns, this topic is the information on my whistles and this topic is the information on my high-volume, high-pressure air system.

The air distribution system is 1" ID plumbing, so the whistle will have more than ample volume.

The whistle and the horns sound like a mega yacht.