Inexpensive Code Reader for OBDII

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
i needed a code reader that i could own, wasnt sure what to buy, but was pretty sure i didnt want a Harbor Freight tool for this application. A local Ford Mech recommended that i purchase a code reader called ELM 327. It was $10.00 and it is available on Ebay as well. The advantage is you can use a laptop, smart phone, or I phone as the interface and besides the codes, you can clear the codes when you desire. Just thought I would pass this tip on to those who might need an inexpensive code reader.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They are a crap shoot. Some work and some are just terribly intermittent.

I bought one once for the hell of it. Ended up throwing it away.

bigdee

Commander
I bought 2 off ebay, a bluetooth and a WiFi. The BT was $10 and the WiFi was $20. I have not tried the BT but the ELM327 WiFi works great. I downloaded an app called AutoDoctor to monitor and capture live data. The WiFi range is limited to about 20 feet which is not an issue with a laptop. I can also park in my front yard and use my office desktop in the house. Bruce may be correct but 10 or 20 bucks is a low risk crapshoot. The AutoDoctor is $40 but you can use a trial version before purchase.

eavega

Lieutenant
I bought one off of DealExtreme website for $15. Its bluetooth connected, and I run an app on my phone (Torque) which not only reads codes, but does some other fancy tricks with fuel mileage, engine efficiency, realtime diagnostics, etc. For what I have used it for (reading and clearing codes) its has performed flawlessly on 3 or 4 vehicles.

Rgds

E

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral