Laptop Battery.........

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When they said "US" keyboard, they mean it is a Qwerty keyboard, not that is was made in the US, Qwerty is the layout, not the country of origin. Located in the states, does not mean made in the states.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That I understand.

But, I wonder if there are cheap knockoffs that aren't HP certified out there?

Prices range from $20 - $60 on e-bay. Granted it's e-bay and no matter what you buy there will be a large range in price. But in this case, is there potentially a quality issue?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have never had any problems with the cheap ones on ebay and I have replaced a few of them in the last 3 years, the one I paid $10 bucks for that I put in a buddies system almost 3 years ago, is still plugging along with no problems., there is no way I would pay $60 for a laptop keyboard. The last time I looked it up, even HP was running about a 12% failure rate on their keyboards and that is I guess certified keyboards, although that is not a term I run into when it comes to hardware, the only time I see hardware certified is when it says "certified for Windows version XX"

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Here's a pick of the ribbon which looks like almost a cut on it. The pic looks a little deceiving. The cut goes into the black part too. Maybe enough to mess up the wiring. The end that plugs in, there are a 3/4 spots where it looks like it's not being touched by the brass pins. There's no marks. Maybe if I had a lit keyboard all the spots would be making a connection. Maybe they should all make a connection now?

I'm thinking about trying another keyboard. I still doubt my old one was bad however......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I still haven't admitted defeat. Could the keyboard issue be a driver issue? It sez the driver is 2006. Say What?

Could the tech's have configured something wrong? Or, is that out because it partially works and an external keyboard works fine? I know nothing about drivers.

Since the techs had it we had to play with icons for MS Office 2010. The different software, like Outlook, icons looked like a blank sheet of paper. Who knows what was played with....

Thanks......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nope, 6/21/2006 is the latest drivers that HP puts in their laptops, they have not had to update it as nothing has really changed in the keyboard operation over the years, that is the same driver I have on my g7 Pavilion running Windows 8.1 OS. With it only partially working and based on the image you posted, I would say when they bent the ribbon, they actually fractured the copper path which is causing problems. I will bet you, the side of the keyboard that is not working is the side that is controlled by that strip that has a kink in it.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I've also did some searching and found that removing the battery and unplugging the A/C adapter reset something and peoples keyboards started working, no matter the brand... HP/DELL/Lenovo etc. Since my battery is shot, I wonder if that is causing my issues? But why did my original keyboard quit working. My battery has become worse since I first brought it in....I keep it plugged in all the time... But I agree, that crease in the ribbon may not be doing me any favors. Wonder why BBs Geek Squad didn't mention it. He looked at the ribbon...

I'm trying to figure out if I should cut my loses and get a new one. Already have $120 into this and it's worse off than when I brought it in. Screen is getting worse too. I bet it's a bad cable. So, add a cable, keyboard and battery to the $120 I already spent and "maybe" a screen.. Not sure I should replace anymore...

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Wim,

After all of this happening, I would probably cut my losses and get a new computer, you can pick another one up like you have for about $300 bucks, at a minimum you still have at least $50 bucks to put into this one.

As an aside, if you want, you could send me this one, I have boxes of parts around here, I might be able to fix it for you, I am pretty good at tearing these laptops apart and getting them working again, I do a lot of them and normally give them to a needy kid so they have computers for school, but if you wanted and I can get it fixed, I could just send it back to you, but like I said, I have boxes of parts around here, so I might have some stuff to repair yours pretty cheap.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
First, I'm cutting my losses and am going to buy "another" laptop. Hope this doesn't become an annual event.

Secondly, I'm going to hi-jack my thread. How do you turn XP off so it can't access the internet? Browser is Google Chrome. I need the ability to turn it off and on as needed...

Thanks,
Musky

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If it is a laptop, you should have a switch on the key board area that will turn the wi-fi off and on at will, or you can also go to your network connection screen and disable the internet by right clicking and choosing the disable option in the list.

As far as it being an annual event, the laptop I am using right now, is an HP Pavilian g7 and I bought it on sale at Best Buy in Nov of 2012, knock on wood have never had a problem with it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You can still go into your network settings and disable it at will, if you are running wi fi, just right click on the internet icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen and open network and sharing center, then click on show connections and then right click on your internet connect and disable it. You can do it also, if you have it directly hooked to your router with cable, just disable it.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yay, my new computer works w/o a flashing screen and the keyboard works.......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
HP Envy 17"
12G RAM
1T HD
Intel Core I7 2.4GHz
Touch screen
2G Dedicated Graphics
Beatsaudio

Windows 10 is supposed to come out this summer which will be a free upgrade.

I guess it's a gamer's LT, which we're not. But, we decided to go with the hotrod of LTs anyway....... Hopefully this lasts us a long time..... We purchased a 2 year extended warranty. With this LT, we probably wasted more money. I never buy extended warranties on anything. So, it's sure to last now....

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Windows 10 is going to be free for anyone that owns a computer with Windows XP or up on it, they are taking a new marketing model strategy with Windows 10 and will offer it free for a year, then who knows what is going to happen.

That said, you went for one of the Big Dog computers, pretty good specs on that machine.

If you don't mind, where did you get it and what did they charge you for it?

oldjeep

Admiral
HP Envy 17"
12G RAM
1T HD
Intel Core I7 2.4GHz
Touch screen
2G Dedicated Graphics
Beatsaudio

Windows 10 is supposed to come out this summer which will be a free upgrade.

I guess it's a gamer's LT, which we're not. But, we decided to go with the hotrod of LTs anyway....... Hopefully this lasts us a long time..... We purchased a 2 year extended warranty. With this LT, we probably wasted more money. I never buy extended warranties on anything. So, it's sure to last now....

That sounds like it should not need any upgrades for a long time as long as it stays together. Power wise it looks pretty close to my M4800, which I use as a development server.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We're hoping. That's why we decided to spend a little extra for longevity.....