instrument cluster

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Like a lot of people the instrument cluster in my 2005 silverado has issues, so found a company that will do a full rebuild on e bay and i have it sent off right now, has any one else done this.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am going to with mine but only to get the transmission temp gauge added to it. If your is a 1/2T and doesn't have it, you should do the same.

Who are you using?

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Will be interested in hearing how this works for you.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It got delivered this morning and i installed it and picked up my friend and we went out to lunch, so far its working like it should the oil, temp, volts,and fuel all seam normal, the tach is in about the same spot at speed, the speedometer is foff 1 mpg by gps and thats where it was before, and from what i can tell the back lighting is fine wont know for sure till it gets dark, so over all its all good.

The initial problems was the speedometer would jump up past 100 if you had to slow down quick and the oil pressure would peg out some times and several of the back lights were out.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a 99 Silverado and the cluster is a little different in the 99-02 vs later ones. I contacted your guy to see if he can convert mine.

Bigprairie1

Commander
My 2005 Silverado (Duramax-Diesel) has a few issues along these lines.
The speedometer no longer works and according to some on line stuff I've read this is pretty typical.
To my understanding what happens is that the small servo motor that drives the speedo packs it in. I figured mine was starting to lose its ooomph when over the space of a trip I would go from the speed limit....eventually down to zero speed over an hour or so.
Anyways, a lot of guys locally will re-do/repair this for about $100...whereas the dealership wants about $400-$500.
I think its pretty straight forward..but I haven't investigated it any further.
BP

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
You can get a kit with 6 of what they call a stepper motor LED lights and tools, I could of done that but i would rather let some one who knows what their doing fix it. The cost for mine was a total of 85.00 shipping both ways and 50 for the repair.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So MH, you inspired me today. I sent mine in to get the tranny temp gauge added. Your guy doesn't do that mod. Going to be $250 plus shipping on my end. If mine was a 2003 or newer, it would have been $200.

sam60

Captain
We had a '96 Olds that had a cluster problem. The gauges were all fine but the cluster contained a component for the Passkey security system and disabled the car. I pulled it and took it to a GM dealer. $280 and 3 weeks without.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Bruce rock auto and o railyes have change out clusters in the same price range but it would have to have the mileage programed in.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My cluster works fine. I just wanted the AT gauge. Most other options are more money than what I am spending.

My year is a weird year since it is the first year of the newer body style.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Thought I would add a follow up, at a week plus its fine with no problems, so its likely good for another 100 K.