Flooring?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
you know my neighbor has a barn full of 2x __ pine in various lengths. I've thought about asking if he wants to get rid of it. I'd cut the 2x (or 1.5x) in half and get a router (ex got last one) and make some flooring.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

Recycled pallets,hardwood prefered,make nice flooring. A bit of work but turn out nice. Check it out on Pinterest. Hope my picture works! Use pallets that don't have oil or chemicals in them.

Attachments

• photo213822.jpg
    photo213822.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the great replies. Kind of like the idea of concrete stain, but have allot of patches where the carpet tack strip was nailed in. Guess I'll have to do some shopping. I'd like to do travertine in common areas and possibly an engineered hardwood in the bedrooms. Will be over a concrete slab. Already have a wet saw and chop saw.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had a friend buying a home a few years back that had stained concrete floors. Mortgage co would not finance it with "no floor covering". He and seller got some really cheap carpet n layed it out. Made the deal and threw out the carpet. WTF?

bigdee

Commander
You can't beat "traditional" when it comes to homes. Anytime you get "fancy" or "trendy" your property values are going to suffer down the road.

We have 40+ year old tongue and groove, random width, yellow pine flooring thru-out the downstairs. It was refinished once, about 15 years ago. Everyone that comes to the house falls in love with the look. MY SIL tried to duplicate the look on a budget with manufactured flooring and failed miserably. You just can't manufacture the grains, colors and look of real wood

Your lucky because it is just about impossible to find virgin growth,close grain yellow pine. The timber today is fast grown with WIDE growth rings and softer.

bigdee

Commander
Not really....buying up old barns, homes,commercial buildings, etc. and reclaiming the building materials is very popular. Locally, we have at least 4 companies that specialize in reclaimed wood flooring alone. A lot of the flooring is salvaged, but they cut from salvaged lumber as well.

Like I said "your lucky" Unless your willing to pay premium prices that is not an option for most people.

nwcove

Admiral
not an issue in the south, but for me, the "upgrade" from carpet to laminate has increased the heating bill by close to 10%.