Looking for replacement LED lights

alldodge

Staff member
When I remodeled the great room I installed some 50 watt halogen blubs. Well they are dimmable, put out plenty of light turned almost all the way, but didn't think of it at the time, they also get hot. So hot that in the pick you can see where they are starting to discolor the paint. Need to do some touch up on the drywall tape in a couple spots and would like to find some LED's to replace them with.

The box beam is 6x6 and the lights are the ones that are originally design for under the counter at 3.5 diameter. There are six of them facing toward each other from opposite sides of the room

Have looked at track lighting fixtures which I could take apart and install direct with some kind of flashing. Looked at dome which had 2 lights sticking out, but nothing looks right. Would like to find something that would be a bit bigger around, maybe oblong.

Photo490.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are you just looking for new LEDs to replace the ones in those fixtures or all new fixtures too? Lowes has lots of LEDs now and I'm sure there are dimmable types that will work. But not too sure about just replacement bulbs... JMHO!

alldodge

Staff member
Are you just looking for new LEDs to replace the ones in those fixtures or all new fixtures too? Lowes has lots of LEDs now and I'm sure there are dimmable types that will work. But not too sure about just replacement bulbs... JMHO!

The ones that are currently installed are halogen, I'm looking for dimmable LED. Have looked many times at Lowes and Depot, found nothing which I though would work, but I'm not the artistic type. Others may be able to look at a fixture and see how a slight change or addition would work

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are they 12V fixtures using MR16 bulbs? I am doing experimenting with LED track lights as replacements for the 50W halogen.

I like these except certain fixtures are flickering and am not sure how to fix it yet. I bought 4 and put them in and am now ordering 5 more. Not as much light as a 50W halogen but pretty good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171446259730...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
They aren't dimmable though which isn't a concern for me.
The light is fairly warm which matches the halogens pretty well.

I think the reason some of them are flickering is due to the 12VAC transformer driving them. Transformer is probably going crazy with the LED half rectifying the load.

I find Lowes pretty much worthless for finding LED bulbs and the ones they have aren't reasonably priced.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
No, there T4 like these and there 120V
http://www.grainger.com/product/2TUD...150107200618:s

I can install low voltage ones and then connect them to a power supply or the like.

The ones I'm wanting to replace are the brown ones up on the beams. Look like these
f9ca8357-4c48-4969-80f6-acaca9dc4d64_400.jpg

With your bulbs flickering their probably not getting the correct voltage.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Check EBay for LEDs. There are tons of them listed. But know what you are looking for because there are different outputs. Cool white will be a harsh pure white light. Warm white is more of a light cream yellowish output more similar to incandescent outputs. There is a huge different between the two. As far as dimmable, the only way I could see any LED being dimmable is to change the CURRENT and not so much the voltage. It take a set forward voltage to get one shining. And I don't see how variable voltage could make one dim per say. However the change in the current supply could dim one... I mean the are diodes made by a standard PN junction. And for that reason you have to supply them with enough forward voltage to get them to light in the first place. More voltage then need yields a burned out LED and less means it won't turn on. So they must be dimming them via current change...JMHO. They now have LEDs from a few milliwatts to well over 5 watts per one LED. And since there is no direct comparison to regular incandescent bulbs, it is understood that one watt of LED equals 7 watts of incandescent, or there about. A better way to compare is their luminance. Figure 450 Lumens is about 40watts in incandescent terms.

alldodge

Staff member
GM, thanks much but I know how they work, I said power supply or the like to keep it simple. I'm currently looking for something that will look nice first. After that I'll figure out how to change the pulse with modulation if the light does not come with it already.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
AllDodge, I didn't mean to come off like you didn't know about them but only my take on such things. Since others may read these posts, I figure a little background wouldn't hurt, but by no means was I referring to you not knowing... Sorry if that is how you took it... I have recently purchased some MR16 warm white replacement bulbs for my outside evening lights around our house. I got them off EBay. I've bought some previous that were cool white and they are so harsh white lights they look clinical and techno instead of inviting.. So I will be changing them for sure to warm white LEDs...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh, I have some fixtures with those bulbs. Those were next in the search.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With your bulbs flickering their probably not getting the correct voltage.
The problem is the transformer. Some LED lights just don't like the AC. My next step is to drive the strip with a 12VDC source and rewire each lamp to bypass the individual transformers.

I'm currently looking for something that will look nice first.
Me too.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had around 8 of those 50W lights in my office. Those suckers would heat it up they were so hot. One of the reasons I want LED.

alldodge

Staff member
Same reason I want to change. Don't know if you can in the pic but the paint is a bit burnt from them

alldodge

Staff member

Appreciate the link but I;m looking for some new fixtures. Reason being is they don't make led which will fit in the ones I have now, there just to small. I have thought about putting in track light fixtures by removing the track part. Only issue I see is how to mount the remaining part of the fixture in something else. I'm just not that good at coming up with something that would look good on the wood beam

rickryder

Commander
OK thought you could find a replacement LED bulb from them. Good luck in your search..something will pop up I'm sure.