Oxygen Sensors?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Is this a CA emission car? Hopefully not. I know that the CA ones are often a completely different CAT with different mounting.

I am sure it had a Washington origin but I do not know for sure...and I don't think that Washington mandates California specs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am sure it had a Washington origin but I do not know for sure...and I don't think that Washington mandates California specs.

It would say on the sticker under the hood. Be very glad if it doesn't. When I had to get the cat for my friend's Honda in CA, was very difficult to find.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Uh Huh! Another year goes by and you didn't give a shout out. :( Yeah, I'll drive by and give it a looksee. Thanks

Sorry about that, I spun a bearing on my car and spent a week fixing that and trying to find a new axle, this last trip was not a great vacation!

:grumpy:

alldodge

Staff member
I must be looking up something wrong, 2002 Mit Lancer, ES O2 sensor up or down stream is 71 dollars or less at NAPA and Oreily's

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I must be looking up something wrong, 2002 Mit Lancer, ES O2 sensor up or down stream is 71 dollars or less at NAPA and Oreily's
Low $40's at Rockauto

Scott is referring to the CATs.

Last edited:

dolluper

Captain
It"s on recall list PCM reflash programing needed+ fans are recalled also check a near by dealer

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
It"s on recall list PCM reflash programing needed+ fans are recalled also check a near by dealer

dolluper, what are you saying? My post was about (what I thought was a 2002) a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L. Surely there could be no effecivet recall at this point.

dolluper

Captain
Eh..the company posted the recall...fix for PO421 reflash the putter...ifin you have over 100,000 they may try to wessel out

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Eh..the company posted the recall...fix for PO421 reflash the putter...ifin you have over 100,000 they may try to wessel out

dolluper, thanks to your heads up a call to the dealer confirmed a two part recall related to the P0421 check engine code. The first part was the 'reprogram' the PCM. The second part was to replace the CAT if the reprogram did not work. The dealer will still do the 'reprogram' for free but any replacement of the CAT does have the 100k limit.

Soooooo, the daughter will have the reprogram done and see if that keeps the check engine lite off. If it does not she will first change the O2 sensors which she just received from RockAuto. If that does not work, they will do the CAT. She needs to get that corrected so it will pass the State Emission Test.

dolluper

Captain
Humm I didn't see anything about the cat...but I did see the electric cooling fan on recall also ...that was the fan in my other post.....me don't think the cat could ever cause PO421,......but PO420 could ifn you had high numbers on the nox gas

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
H.....me don't think the cat could ever cause PO421,......

Here is what I found:
[h=1]P0421 MITSUBISHI[/h] [h=1]P0421 MITSUBISHI - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold- Cylinders 1-4[/h] Possible causes
- Warm Up Three Way Catalytic converter deterioration or malfunction
- Exhaust system leaks
- Loose front or rear HO2Ss
- Faulty front heater O2 sensor
- O2 sensors harness is open or shorted
- O2 sensors poor electrical connection Help with this

Tech notes
As the code description implies the P0421 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0421 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

There is a factory service recall for the following Mitsubishi Models:

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer
2002−2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Factory Service Recall OBDII Code P0421 Help with this

When is the code detected?
The P0421 code is set when PCM has determined that the warm up catalyst efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating condition. (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0421 MITSUBISHI Description
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).
A three way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of heated oxygen sensor 2. As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the heated oxygen sensor 2 switching frequency will increase.
When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.

dolluper

Captain
Yep PO421 tech means Bank 1..O2 sensor 1 below ..guess where O2 sensor 1 is before the Cat....ifin you had live data available you would look at temperature readings and fuel trim readings to determine the cause of the code ...IF you do go ahead and throw in a Cat make sure you break it in before E-TEST ...200 km or so