Well I got a really nice surprise today...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Went over the my wife's daughters house today to spend some time with her and her new husband and he pulls out this big box and told me, this stuff is for you! I have only known this guy for a few months, but respect him, he served in the same theater as I did in 1991 when we went to Desert Storm. When I looked in the box, it was a brand new RC helicopter, controller and a whole boat load of extra parts! I don't know how he knew I am interested in these dumb toys, but somehow he knew, but I am thrilled, it is an align T-REX 450 with all kinds of extra gears and motors, and a DX6i 6 channel controller, so now I really get to play with RC copters, which I have loved for years!

I guess, I have to give in and say, this guy might be a keeper!

:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
There is always something special about our military brotherhood! (I can't believe I have been retired from AD 21 Years!) That sounds like a fun toy too! I have been eyeing drones but the ones I want are way out of my reach.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like a ploy to buy your good graces, MT. I think it worked. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MTB, if you've never flown a R/C copter, maybe you should get a program for your computer and do some beforehand practice. They actually fly like an R/C plane AFTER you get it in the air and moving. But it is a handful getting them in the air for starters if you've never flown one before. Same with the hovering and landing... So practice on the "resettable" copters on the computer before trying your hand on the real thing. Could save a ton of dollars and parts. I've flown some bigger R/C copters and the guy that MADE me fly his (yes, he actually did make me fly his too) was there to take over if I got into trouble. Which surprisingly I never did...not even once... But I was an R/C plane instructor so I knew the standard controls very well... Good luck and do take pictures...videos would be even better!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have flown before, I have 3 smaller ones already and he gave all of the software as well as a USB receiver that is programed to work on the computer with the controller he gave me, so I can practice before attempting to fly this one for real, of course, I won't be able to fly for a few months because of the amount of snow we will get in the next few months.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Aw - Snow means soft landings. And you can have a real snow blower. T-Rex 450 is a nice bird.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW that is one nice copter for sure. I can only imagine the cost of that thing... Turbo engine and everything... Probably cost more then a simple small real full size copter you can get in and fly...