Colt Frontier .22

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a Colt Frontier .22 that is great shape. The only problem is that the cylinder is for .22 Mag. .22 Mag ammo is nearly, if not completely, impossible to find.

Does anyone know where I can find a .22 LR cylinder. Everyone seems to be "sold out".

Ideas?

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a Colt Frontier .22 that is great shape. The only problem is that the cylinder is for .22 Mag. .22 Mag ammo is nearly, if not completely, impossible to find.

Does anyone know where I can find a .22 LR cylinder. Everyone seems to be "sold out".

Ideas?

Thanks.

This is one of many doing a search on "Colt Frontier scout cylinder"
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/189810.htm

Same with magnum ammo
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22-magnum

It's hard to find ammo in the stores but on-line usually isn't much of an issue

rickryder

Commander
I get my ammo from Ammoseek plenty of .22mag on the list

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just purchase 2000 rounds from Cabela's in November right after Turkey day, and they seem to have .22 mag all the time, so you might check with them.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I usually go to https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/189810.htm (Numrich Arms) like previous commenters already posted. But with older guns like that you really have to search everywhere for parts. There are tons of gun websites out there to search and even EBay like others suggested as well. As far as 22 mag rim-fire ammo, it isn't as scarce as regular 22 rim-fire. But it still cost way more and always has. And the only reason 22 rim-fire is so scarce is because from the recent ammo shortage scare, folks are now buying up even round then can afford to make sure they have enough for their life times. The production hasn't gone down, and if fact that manufactures are working at increased schedules to try and keep up with the overwhelming demands. Hopefully that demand will start to dwindle soon and everything with revert to normal again. Sad how it use to be you could short 22 rim-fire for mere pennies, not any more...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Fleetwin, I hope you realize that a 22 convertible pistol like you have is really more accurate with the 22 magnum cylinder installed verse the 22 LR rim-fire cylinder. And the reason for that is the barrel bore is made to fit the 22 magnum diameter round instead of the 22 LR rim-fire round. While it is a slight difference, shooting the 22 LR rounds in that bore doesn't fill it out like the 22 magnum does and therefore less accurate for that reason... I use to have a Hi Standard Double Nine convertible and like some complete brainless moron, I swapped it for a camera. I sure wish I still had that pistol now... Film SLR's are a dime a dozen these days! :facepalm:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I do realize the accuracy loss with .22LR. Thanks for the tips.