Prime Choice Auto Parts

thumpar

Admiral
Check Rock Auto. There is not place that can beat their prices.

NYBo

Admiral
I have checked Rock Auto. I buy from them fairly often; got an order from them today, in fact. Their cheapest units are $94 each; the ones I linked are are $124 for a pair with free shipping.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Often times if you look on ebay, you will find the same sellers with their prices being listed lower that what Amazon or their website lists them, I tried to look at your link and it came back invalid. By the way have you done a google search, I found shocks for your rig by Rancho for less that what you are saying you found, I have run Ranchos for years and never had a complaint.

I have shopped Rock Auto many times over the years and yes, sometime they are the least expensive, but I have also found them to be the most expensive on the parts I purchase, so it pays to shop more than just Rock.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I learned the hard way about buying auto parts by price. I did that a few years ago when I thought I needed new front wheel bearing assemblies. I bought from a place listed on EBay and not only did they not work properly, they wouldn't cover their warrantee either. Seems some of those parts are really cheap China knock-off parts cleverly disguised as quality parts... Lesson learned for me...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I learned the hard way about buying auto parts by price. I did that a few years ago when I thought I needed new front wheel bearing assemblies. I bought from a place listed on EBay and not only did they not work properly, they wouldn't cover their warrantee either. Seems some of those parts are really cheap China knock-off parts cleverly disguised as quality parts... Lesson learned for me...

When I purchase parts on ebay, I always ask before I purchase so I can ascertain country of manufacture and warranty details, then weigh the sellers feedback very strongly, I have only been bit a couple of times in the last 10 years and both times paypal ended up refunding my money.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Don't think any Dodge 1500 used struts, are you sure yours does?

The link I posted from Auto Parts Warehouse is showing struts for the 2007 Dodge 1500? I have not owned a Dodge product for over 20 years now, so I just looked for the information he posted in his first message.

alldodge

Staff member
The link I posted from Auto Parts Warehouse is showing struts for the 2007 Dodge 1500? I have not owned a Dodge product for over 20 years now, so I just looked for the information he posted in his first message.

I did the same thing and will agree some do come up, but also just shocks. I'm thinking the catalogs are mixed together with like the Dakota pickup. Would like to know the VIN to verify

NYBo

Admiral
Don't think any Dodge 1500 used struts, are you sure yours does?

Yep, it sure does. They look exactly like the ones in the link. The RWD version uses conventional shocks, I believe.

To answer the question as to whether I need to replace the springs: I don't know. I just bought the truck. It has 117K miles on it. I would rather pay a few dollars more for brand new assemblies (springs, spring isolators, and mounts) rather than potentially replacing these parts piecemeal. That could end up costing more in the end. Plus there's the reduced installation time.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
KYB shocks and struts are some of the best in the world, they are what are used on the Baja 1000 race rigs, either that or Bilstiens, you can't go wrong with either brand, the Ranchos that I used on my 4x4 rigs are made by Monroe and are damn good struts and shock as well, I have been running them for rough duty trucks for almost 20 years, the struts in your link, I am not familiar with that brand. Like I said, Auto Parts Warehouse, a highly respected National company has the KYB's on sale right now and they would not cost you anymore than the off brand in the link you posted. I run 3 1 ton Fords, 2 of them are 4x4 and any of the name brands are going to be pretty good.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I couldn't remember the shocks I had on a chevy until MT spoke up. x2 on the Bilstiens.

thumpar

Admiral
I agree with you on buying the whole assembly. It will save you some time and you know you have everything you might need. I have always found Rock Auto to be the cheapest but that must just be the parts that I am looking for. I picked up a set of quality plug wire for my 5.7l Merc for $16 on a special buy not too long ago.

alldodge

Staff member
Yep, it sure does. They look exactly like the ones in the link. The RWD version uses conventional shocks, I believe.

Never would of thought that, but everything is going cheaper these days, go figure. Thanks for the info

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have used KYB on both my Lexus GS and my Chevy Truck. They are good shocks. Bilsteins are also good and Chevy has used them as OEM on some trucks.