How long should a typical $10 HD flush mechanism last

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I have the toilet on the main floor that periodically runs for a few seconds. It's pretty sporadic and not because of a leak. The mech is about 3 yrs old and and is used probably 100 times per week since its our most used bathroom. I know its a cheap part and I could just replace, but the other culprit may be a pressure valve in need of rebuild. I did notice that the valve on the water heater looks like it's blown off once in the recent past. Water heater is 3 yrs old and I've not noticed blow off until now.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You on a well system? if so make sure your pump is not running continuously, I had this happen and it ruined both toilet valves as well as a valve in my dishwasher.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It is seriously hard to tell about things like that not knowing the pressure coming in, the chemicals in the water and things like that. Water with certain chemicals can work hard on the toilet flushing fixtures with hardening the flapper and the actual seal between the tank and bowl. Simply changing the usual flapper and float setup can still have problems if the seat is hardened and allowing leakage because it has some really small pitting around it. So maybe you need to have your water tested to see what you're working with for starters. And change the entire flushing system with a new bowl to tank seal as well. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about the other toilets - Are they OK? Steal some food coloring from the wife and put a few drops in the tank. If the bowl changes color in the slightest, replace the flapper. Flappers fail far more often than the flusher, they get hard and don't seal well.

No real help on the water heater except the relief will pop if gets too hot and the pressure builds. Maybe drop the temp a notch or two.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, thanks for the food coloring tip. I dropped some in and the bowl turned green. The water in our area is hard, but I soften it coming in the house. Two outside spigots are hard, but everything else is soft. My pressure regulator should be set at 50psi, but it's been about 2 years since I had the neighbors gage on it to check.

I think I'll change all the flaps and seals this week. The flap seat is probably the problem, so I'll have to make sure to address that. I hate to let it keep on running like this, I get paranoid about stray water in my house.

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, thanks for the food coloring tip. I dropped some in and the bowl turned green. The water in our area is hard, but I soften it coming in the house. Two outside spigots are hard, but everything else is soft. My pressure regulator should be set at 50psi, but it's been about 2 years since I had the neighbors gage on it to check.

I think I'll change all the flaps and seals this week. The flap seat is probably the problem, so I'll have to make sure to address that. I hate to let it keep on running like this, I get paranoid about stray water in my house.

Thanks

That's only a problem if you put in a few drops of red. :eek: LOL

Yep, the flap for sure. I keep an extra one around because the on/off of the water bugs me. Only a minute or two to change out. I only change the flap, never had a seat problem and I use the red ones. They seem to last longer than the black and the blacks leave what looks like ink on my fingers - Messy.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Lol...I looked for blue food color so I could pretend to use 2000 flushes for a day or so. I'll remember what you said and get a red one. No well pump or other devices acting up so I'm going to change flap and mark this as done.