Windows 8.1

bigdee

Commander
Got new all-in-one computer with windows 8.1 and I absolutely hate this os. IMO windows xp was the best os ever, simple and clean. Also hate all the free trial software. Solved all these issues by installing a ubuntu linux os.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
All you have to do is install a little tiny program called "Classic start menu" and it makes it work like a windows 7 computer, plus gives you a lot of options to change how the pop out menus work and how the computer boots and shuts down. As far as the free trial stuff, I just go straight to the programs area in the control panel and uninstall all of them.

bigdee

Commander
All you have to do is install a little tiny program called "Classic start menu" and it makes it work like a windows 7 computer, plus gives you a lot of options to change how the pop out menus work and how the computer boots and shuts down. As far as the free trial stuff, I just go straight to the programs area in the control panel and uninstall all of them.

Yeah I am aware of that. Wndows 7 is better but i'm not fond of ms in general. I prefer clean,no frill screens without pop up messages and other garbage. The ubuntu 14.2 is very close to xp and much more intuitive. I felt like if I had to monkey with windows 8 I may as well switch os.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am actually surprised you were able to get ubuntu to install, I wasn't able to on my Windows 8 machine.

thumpar

Admiral
I use iobit windows start 8 addon. I Mam glad they are bringing back a start menu in Windows 10. When I ordered my last laptop about 8 months ago I ordered it with 7. All the computer I have sold to my customers have been 7. I have never sold one with 8 and I sell probably 100 computers or more a year.

bigdee

Commander
I am actually surprised you were able to get ubuntu to install, I wasn't able to on my Windows 8 machine.

It took some head scratching and a little butt scratching. I had to disable secure boot in bios and use ubuntu's boot loader instead of windows boot loader. When I switch to windows os it directs me to the window dual boot screen. By default it always boots in ubuntu at startup unless i choose windows.