Hot Tub Motherboard heater plug fried

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
SO, with the winter we had, I was not able to get back to putting the pump, heater, and control panel back in until this weekend. put it all back, and started to fill the tub, put the power back on, and nothing. I know power is getting to the outside spa side fuse box because there is a power outlet on it live. What could it be? Weird the topside control is dead- I put it back exactly like it was all connected- feel like I am missing something. Thanks guys...

bigdee

Commander
I would cut the wires about an inch away from the plug and strip 1/4" of insulation. After that step I would tin the stripped ends and insert them into the hollow pins on the board and solder them in place. I would also check the amp draw on the pump and compare it with the data plate on the motor. A direct connection is always better than a plug.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the response. That is exactly what I did with the wire from the heater. I soldered the plugs directly to the control board. the issue is I am not getting any power to the top side control unit at all- weird, because before disconnecting the entire thing, the pumps worked fine, albeit the heater didnt work and one pump leaked. I had to leave it all drained for a few months however- I sucked all the water out of it with a wet dry vac however. any other ideas? I feel like its a silly thing.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the response. That is exactly what I did with the wire from the heater. I soldered the plugs directly to the control board. the issue is I am not getting any power to the top side control unit at all- weird, because before disconnecting the entire thing, the pumps worked fine, albeit the heater didnt work and one pump leaked. I had to leave it all drained for a few months however- I sucked all the water out of it with a wet dry vac however. any other ideas? I feel like its a silly thing.

Thinking you did check for power coming from the breaker on both legs (220V). The next would start tracing the circuit board to the connector going to the top. When heat is applied to a circuit board the traces can crack if you much heat is applied. The traces can be fixed but have to find them first

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I wanted to close the loop. I went out and checked power and all the lines were hot. I took the cover off the Control unit and one of the power plugs for the PCB was unplugged. Plugged it back in and we are live. No leak and heating (so far). Thanks all for the help!

alldodge

Staff member
Glad your back in business and hope it stays that way. Bet it was a gremlin, sneaky little buggers :rolleyes: :D

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all dodge! So the heater is working great and the pump isnt leaking. Awesome. But the drain valve is leaking.

It's one of those twist push pull things. Real pain to deal with. No matter what it leaks. You push it in all the way, and it really gushes around the sides. With the cap on. Weird. Anyway I guess it cracked over the winter when I drained the tub. I'm thinking of replacing with a faucet - turn the handle when I want it to drain. Thoughts? Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
A faucet type or gate vale would work but I have always liked the ball valve, no washers.