Windows 7 file/folder search function?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I don't get it. XP made this a snap, ie find files and folders. In Win 7, I type in the name of a file and/or a folder and it comes up with nothing. But yet, in this case, I go to 'pictures', in the 'library' and I find the folder with the name that I tried to search. What is going on?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you have a 64 bit OS use the x64 one. Otherwise use the 86 one

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If you have a 64 bit OS use the x64 one. Otherwise use the 86 one

OK, I guess the Mrs's laptop is 64 bit Win 7. Shame one needs to download something like this when XP made it so easy. Type in any part of a file name and it would show everything that fit, even if was just a partial name.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Trying to recreate your problem but I can't. Here's something to try: http://techtrix.hubpages.com/hub/How...7-Search-Index

The Win 7 search function plain did not work. I downloaded Bruceb's suggestion and it works like a champ, just like the old XP search function did. It brought up every file and folder that started with the first few letters of my search description.

I'll try your link, NYBo, and see if it will fix the Win 7 imbedded search.

Last edited:

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm running Win 7 64 bit and when I type in the name of a file of a folder I get a nice list ??? have you tried a search after a re-boot?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
On my Win 7 computers all I do is, click on start, go up to search, choose all files and folders put in my search term and it works.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Search works fine in Win 7. If you are looking for indexed searches (where the system doesn't have to actual search) you can use the tools posted above. Google desktop is another one. It will even search in your documents and email if you use a program for email. That is a nice feature if you don't remember a document name but remember some of the content.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
On my Win 7 computers all I do is, click on start, go up to search, choose all files and folders put in my search term and it works.

Not on this end of the world. That is exactly how I tried to do it and it came up with zip. Someone above posted a link about this issue. I have yet to persue it. The downloaded 'everything' worked just dandy.

thumpar

Admiral
You may have something configured wrong. The search in Win 7 is actually better than XP.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You may have something configured wrong. The search in Win 7 is actually better than XP.

The gremlins have been at it again. Upon reading your comment I went back the the Mrs's Win 7 laptop, hit the start button and typed in the name of the file in the 'search files and folders' box. This time it displayed them. There was one file and one sub-folder of identical names. It displayed them both. Several days back when I started this post, this was not the case. I tried it multiple times, to no avail.

thumpar

Admiral
It is like what I tell my customers when they want me to explain why something wasn't working on their computer. I just say "Because it is a computer". It is a lot easier than making up some BS.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Normally when I have problems with a function that I have not had in the past, I will re-boot and try the operation again, sometimes Windows reacts very oddly if you have been running programs that don't release memory correctly when you close them, so if you are not in the middle of something, if all else fails, start over with a clean history.