Ford 7.3 direct injection

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Pulled the injectors out and had them pop tested, two proved bad and got them replaced.
Any advise before I put the thing back together?

I will be replacing fuel lines as the are brittle and starting to split, as well I will turn the motor over 3-4 times by hand to get the oil out of the cylinders before attempting to fire it up or just pull the glow plugs and blast it out?, top up the oil in the high pressure pump holding tank.

???

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What version of the 7.3? My 85 has a 7.3, but it is not a power stroke, it is the larger IDI model.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Its the power stroke, injectors are under the valve covers.

dannys2004glastron175mx

Petty Officer 1st Class
you will not be able to get the oil out of the cyl bye turning it over bye hand , you will have to use a pump and suck it out . all the orings on the injectors should be replaced.Put a little lube on the orings before you slide them in

alldodge

Staff member
I would unplug the fuel solenoid and glow plugs. Leave injectors out and crank over the engine using the starter. Put a cloth loosely covering the injectors holes to keep from spraying oil over everything.

dannys2004glastron175mx

Petty Officer 1st Class
if you turn the engine over with the injectors out it will pump more engine oil in the cyl . there a oil rail that goes through the head .

rbh

Fleet Admiral
New o-rings on the injectors, (but I did not put on the new steel ring or the new copper washers)
If I crank by hand with the injectors in because I do not have a vacuum pump, the oil should go out the exhaust valve ?? (should keep the snow mosquitoes down)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The little pump that is used to put oil in lower units also works pretty well also, just attach an extension on it and pump away