"service engine soon" light

robert graham

Admiral
I inspected and cleaned my fuel filler cap and rubber O-ring and it looks fine.....think I should just go buy a new cap anyway?...just to be sure about it?...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I inspected and cleaned my fuel filler cap and rubber O-ring and it looks fine.....think I should just go buy a new cap anyway?...just to be sure about it?...

It should be storing a code for that failure.

If you could get your hands on a code reader, you could remove the cap and drive around until the light goes on and check to see if a code gets set.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The cap should throw a code and check engine light.

Go to Auto Zone or another parts store - Most will plug in a reader and read the codes for you. I'm not real sure check engine soon will store a code.

BTW - Bruce, the danged buttons aren't labeled. :eek:

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe tomorrow I remove the cap, run the engine and look for the light....if it comes on pretty quick then I'll erase the code with the battery disconnect, replace cap and run engine and look for light....if no light then at least I'll know if the cap is good?....how does this sound to you wizards?...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Some codes get set and then subsequently reset after a few cold start cycles(a start cycle is a start with the engine coolant under 120 degrees or so). Code could have already been reset by the time you have the codes read. That's why it's important to read the code soon after the light goes on.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to get this fixed because your car is due for an emissions test?

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Your cheapest part to throw at is a gas cap. Kinda funny how washing the engine turned the light off, that makes me think you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

NYBo

Admiral
For goodness sake, don't do anything until you get the exact code(s).:facepalm:

robert graham

Admiral
I may just try a new gas cap....we don't have emissions test in South Carolina, so that's not my reason for worrying about this....it's just that light being on that says there's something wrong....Yep, rinsing off the engine turned it off and it's still off now.....seems if anything serious was the matter it would come right back on?...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I second waiting to have the code read. Why throw good money at anything until you for certain the cause? And sad to say that even knowing the code some times isn't much help either, but it does guide you in the right section...most of the time. Any auto parts store will read the code for free. So once it turns on, drive to any parts store for the code. Then go from there... It that code reads and decodes to any type vacuum issue then start to eliminate the causes one at a time starting with researching the internet for folks with similar codes to see what was their fix. Yours is not unique or alone by any stretch. The internet can point you to the more probably problem before spending money on "hope this fixes it" tries!

thumpar

Admiral
Don't just throw money at it figure out what is wrong. It could be something really simple or some bad sensor but you don't even know where to start until you find out what code it is throwing. My van started randomly showing the light. It turned out my oil fill cap was missing and messed with the emissions equipment. It was only a few bucks but I didn't replace anything until I know what was wrong.

robert graham

Admiral
Don't just throw money at it figure out what is wrong. It could be something really simple or some bad sensor but you don't even know where to start until you find out what code it is throwing. My van started randomly showing the light. It turned out my oil fill cap was missing and messed with the emissions equipment. It was only a few bucks but I didn't replace anything until I know what was wrong.
I agree...will wait for light to return and get the code reader on it then....

robert graham

Admiral
well, 3 days now and no light....maybe the gremlins have left the building, or maybe cleaning/checking gas cap fixed it????....anyway, we're heading down to Florida on Thursday for a couple of weeks and if the stupid light wants to show It's butt down there then we'll deal with it....or just shove the old heap into a swamp!....