Need help identifying a tree...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know this isn't probably the best place for this issue, but seems so many these forums are so knowledgeable about so many things, I'm going to give it a try.

Yesterday I managed to cut down four trees in my back yard that were not the best of shape. Now I do love trees, mostly hardwoods, and will go out of my way to save most any type that is growing good. But these fours were not such trees. Two of those trees I think I tried to identify as Basswood trees. Their long since dropped huge leaves looked perfectly matched to a Basswood tree on the net. And I decided to cut them to proper sizes to actually use in our fireplace. Not so much for heat, but more of a display burning fire. However, when I was cutting these trees, the had a white milky type sap (for lack of a better word) oozing out of the cut areas. Every cut all the way to the very little top branches as I cut them oozed that white liquid. And about a half hour later that white oozing disappeared. So my question is two fold. Do any of you actually think those are Basswood? And if so, is that white oozing white liquid sap/watery substance okay to burn or would that be toxic? I did research everywhere I could to see for myself. But other opinions would be nice... Thanks for your replies. I am on the fence about burning them in fear of toxic issues. But everywhere I read, basswood was okay to burn, but nobody made any issue about a white milky looking sap as they are cut... ??? :confused:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ya have a pic of these trees,and of the sap? Never an an oozer like that,just clear. Pine will produce white sap,but you have leaves.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't worry about any toxicity issues. I would worry about burning unseasoned wood of any kind because it can accelerate creosote buildup.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Pictures would go a long ways to helping identify your tree, I seriously doubt the sap would be toxic, that is not a common thing, could smell, I have had that happen in the past, got a hold of some locust wood one time and it was horrible.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Just let it sit and dry out before burning as was said.
Just think how much water goes up those trunks to feed all those branches and leaves every day.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha thanks for the replies. Let me see if I can respond to some questions. NO I do have plans of burning that tree this season. I have a good size wood rack and that tree will go on the bottom portion for next season or much later this season in the next year. So that isn't an issue. I actually went out today to see if I could pick up a leaf, but no such luck. I'll take a picture of the tree and bark. But the leaves are very large about 6 to 8 inches wide and at least that long with a fine segregated edge. The basswood leaf seems to be a perfect match. But the white milky sap, for lack of a better or correct word, was actually on the outside area around the bark section and about an inch or so towards the center. But again after about a half hour to an hour it disappeared or soaked in... It cut pretty easy but then I had the chainsaw running very good with a sharpened chain. So it could be that the saw was running great making it so easy.

I did get into some Holly wood one year after cutting one on my property that was dying. It was a pretty good size Holly too and it smelled awful when I tried to burn it in the fireplace. It actually smelled like plastic burning. So that was the end of that.
Tree-1 ReSized.jpg

Tree-2 ReSized.jpg

Tree-3 ReSized.jpg

Tree-4 ReSized.jpg

Tree-5 ReSized.jpg

Okay after fighting with the attachment upload for about ten times I finally got something to take. In the first shot you can see what the actual bark looks like, the second shot is some of milky junk after drying out, the third shot is basically how the tree was growing, the forth is one of the totally drying up leafs. It was the best one I could find, The last shot show more of the milky stuff after it dried. Anybody recognize the species? I'm usually pretty good at trees, but the best I can do is a Basswood tree...

Attachments

• Tree-1 ReSized.jpg
    Tree-1 ReSized.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 0

thumpar

Admiral
The bark looks a lot like an elm tree but elms don't have big leaves. Maybe it is a relative of an elm. I had some elm wood and tried using it in the outdoor firepit. It stank pretty bad. It works find in the wood insert that is sealed. There are many deciduous trees that stink when burnt so that is the only downside unless you have a sealed wood stove.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My first thought was Elm too. Or as they call it around here, **** Elm....... :)

82rude

Rear Admiral
looks like box elder.also goes under and not limited to maple ash,manitoba maple ,and several other names.if it isn't it sure is a close relative .I was always taught that a cool fire is the reason for creosote not seasoning .ive burned all types and all different seasoned and unseasoned wood in my garage for the last 10 years and check my pipe at least once a season and I have little to zero creosote period.i have access to 4x4 hardwood in almost unlimited quantities which include but not limited to maple.mahogany and one year I burned several truck loads of cherrywood. also burned or am burning pretty fresh maple and Manitoba maple right now.mind you now my pipe is straight up with no curves so maybe that's why ive no creosote buildup ,at least that's my uneducated theory.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Basswood tree. When dried will give off little heat and burn fast. Here in VT we use basswood for running maple sugar boilers in the spring and are rarely used for heat.

They are also not as strong against the weather and are known to break/blow down during storms around here. Basically it is a big weed.

82rude

Rear Admiral
believe your correct BOB VT.though the southern range is suppose to be north carolina if i read the description correctly.what im 100 percent sure of is that it is most likely wood,lol.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Basswood tree. When dried will give off little heat and burn fast. Here in VT we use basswood for running maple sugar boilers in the spring and are rarely used for heat.

They are also not as strong against the weather and are known to break/blow down during storms around here. Basically it is a big weed.

Sounds just like the cottonwood we have in the Pacific Northwest, no one uses it for firewood. Burns fast, lots of ashes, little heat, when you cut the tree down the wood is heavy , very wet. I cut a big one down on my property once, almost impossible to split with a wedge and maul, my Dad told me to cut it into rounds and wait until it freezes hard, it splits easy then. I burned it just to get rid of it, save from hauling it off.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
^^^^ cotton wood is big bucks if dimensionaly cut, 2 things I know it is in high demand for is trailer decking and floors in horse barns

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Uh OH! Not to change the subject, but I notice that many of us have once again been demoted to Cadets! LOL

:lol:

Reactions: K-2

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha all, again, thanks for all the new replies. I am near certain that it is Basswood with the spring and summer time leave identification and bark. I was just interested in the milky white liquid after the initial cuts. It was about 40 to 50 feet tall. But it had a real bad issue with the large branches bending over and near touching the ground. So I would have to push the limbs out of the way to mow. And so now it is history, but cut to fireplace sizes if I do decide to burn it. We don't burn any fire for the heat per say, but more of a nice look while we sit in the great room. So it isn't seriously important the amount of usable heat it would generate. I just hate to travel it to the dump when it could be used. I also build furniture and I may even cut some with the band saw to see if it would make some drawer sides. If the wood is basically plain figured, it make work out. I can cut some into slabs and let them air dry and see how they look... Otherwise, I see a huge bonfire if all else fails, after it dries!

bassman284

Commander
Ha all, again, thanks for all the new replies. I am near certain that it is Basswood with the spring and summer time leave identification and bark. I was just interested in the milky white liquid after the initial cuts. It was about 40 to 50 feet tall. But it had a real bad issue with the large branches bending over and near touching the ground. So I would have to push the limbs out of the way to mow. And so now it is history, but cut to fireplace sizes if I do decide to burn it. We don't burn any fire for the heat per say, but more of a nice look while we sit in the great room. So it isn't seriously important the amount of usable heat it would generate. I just hate to travel it to the dump when it could be used. I also build furniture and I may even cut some with the band saw to see if it would make some drawer sides. If the wood is basically plain figured, it make work out. I can cut some into slabs and let them air dry and see how they look... Otherwise, I see a huge bonfire if all else fails, after it dries!
Basswood is favored by woodcarvers. If all else fails, you might look for some carving clubs in your area.