Need some Computer help, I'm a fish out of water

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
svchost.exe are operating system stuff, not the source of your issues.

Safe mode, spybot and malwarebytes would be the things to do

Actually, there are quite a few discussions out there about svchost.exe causing problems, I have received a few emails from Microsoft on how to lessen the impact of their operating system problems over the years and how to limit the number of instances of it running. Yes it is a system level program, but in certain combinations of hardware and software it can cause havoc!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, I just think the OP could kill svchost processes until the cows come home . . . might try disabling certain services and see if it boots up and behaves any better.

My suggestion to the OP, if he would like to do this, is to copy/paste the list of processes running on the system into this thread. That may create a better view of what is going on . . .

At the surface, this looks like spyware and malware infections, which many of the security products treat as being acceptable.

Another possibility would be to get a Mac . . .

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Another possibility would be to get a Mac . . .

Macs, with the intel processors are having problems these days as well. For many people, the cost of a Mac and the new learning curve after many years of using a Windows machine is not an option. As I said, download the program that I posted called process explorer and it will give you in depth what processes are running on your machine. Also, if you are running Windows Defender, turn it off and see if that makes a difference, there are problems with certain versions of Windows Defender that will set up an endless loop situation that eats resources up.

Also, a general layman, is not going to be able to kill svchost.exe, it keeps replicating its process to trigger other processes, such as the rundll routines that can also eat up resources. That is why I recommend the process explorer, it tells you what is running and how they are linked to each other. It is not the svchost that always causes the problem, but the other processes that it triggers.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay I have a little update to my original computer problems. I know not many folks report back once they find their problem(s) or even their solution. But I want to do so, so if others have the same or similar issues they can see what fixed my problem... IDK, it could help. My original problem was the slow startup and very slow change once I hit a key. I tried near about everything you all suggested on here even downloading some good programs to see what was causing my problem. :frusty:

I have to say I do like the CCleaner program and it has made my computer faster as well. But nothing seemed to fix it correctly. I still had the same issues. Then I started watching "Task Manager" when initially starting up and the physical memory was in the high 80% to upper 90% range every time it would slow down and literally stop responding to any commands. I also watch it when things seemed to settle down after a loonnnggg while after startup. It then was in the 60% and 70% range. So I was talking about this with my adult son who actually bought are two identical laptop computers (one for my wife and I). I total him that I Had 300GB hard drive with only 45GB used out of the 300GB capability. So I didn't think there was a fragmented issue. I also told him that I was getting very high physical memory reading and that I had 2GB ram. He said no, he bought more ram then that when he purchased the computers. So I did a property click on the computer again and yes there was 2GB ram with 300GB hard drive. So I checked my wife's computer and hers read 3GB Ram with 300GB HD. Odd, they were both were supposed to be exactly alike in every way. So I opened up the memory cover and yes there were two sticks of ram, one was 2GB and the other 1GB. So why was my computer only seeing and using 2GB? I looked at my wife's and hers was the same a 2GB stick and a 1GB stick. But hers read both sticks. So I removed both ram sticks and found out that the 1GB stick was mere setting there and not clipped into the slot. YEA, I found the problem and once I installed both memory sticks back in correctly...WALA, the computer works perfectly. So we've ordered in 8 more GB of ram to give us a nice ram setup now and I think my problems are over... Amazing how things turn out. I knew there was a problem, but couldn't put my finger on it... My computer is running fairly quick now and I only have 3GB ram. I can only imagine how nice it will run after going with more ram when it gets here... Seems ever time I clicked on a key or command, it pegged the physical ram usage and made everything appear to stop. I guess the stack register were filling up the more I clicked and didn't get any results making the situation even more slower. That is why it took so long to do anything. And I mean slow, long minutes and in some case 10 minutes to even 20 minutes. Because I was commanding the same things over and over until the stack register was full and couldn't follow my clicks anymore... Hope this does help somebody else. Of course others aren't as stupid as I am and this all could be for nil. But either way you all have a wonderful day anyways! :whoo:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Glad you found out what was wrong, 8 gigs will be good. You can actually go to 16 gigs memory on that machine running the 64 bit system

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MTBoatguy, I'm not sure it will take 16GB. There are only two slots and I've only seen 4GB DDR3 64 bit RAM sticks thus far... But either way, more ram will be nice to use instead of 2GB maxed out for everything working faster...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Oh it will take it, but 8 gig sticks are hard to find, same computer my wife runs and I have 16 gigs in hers.

dolluper

Captain
Since you think it is fine now maybe you should go to your start and scroll up to windows update and scan for updates and maybe schedule updates like Tuesday when Micro puts them out...Ccleaner is a wonderful tool for your machine ...check the tool section very powerful tools there esp start-up section of tools section

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Oh it will take it, but 8 gig sticks are hard to find, same computer my wife runs and I have 16 gigs in hers.

Out of curiosity what does your wife run where she needs 16GB of RAM?

I have 4GB at home and 32GB at work but at work I am doing heavy duty circuit simulations and IC routing and I rarely use more than half.

4GB for a home computer is more than enough for most people,

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have 4GB at home and 32GB at work but at work I am doing heavy duty circuit simulations and IC routing and I rarely use more than half.

My feelings as well, brucb58. When I load our new ram into both laptops we each will have 6GB ram capability. The reason I didn't go any higher is because our laptops are a few years old now and our next move will probably be new laptops down the road. So filling up to the max was not my intensions knowing that 3GB is now working flawlessly. So 6GB ram capability will accomplish everything I/we want to do...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Bruce,

She does a lot of magazine layout and design and ad layout and design, when you get three or four different graphics programs running at once, it takes a lot of juice to keep going. She might work at home, but her computer is not a home computer.

I have always ran a lot of memory in our computers, I don't have one with less than 4 gigs around here, the average is 8 gigs and my wife's computer is always running the max for the operating system that is on her computer. Her computer is a Core I7 with all of the bells and whistles that we could put in it.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, if she is doing graphic design, then yes, you need a lot of RAM. Surprised she doesn't use a MAC for graphic design. I have 2 friends in the graphic design advertising business and the whole industry is MAC.

Be interesting to see a screen shot of the MS Resource Monitor while she has these programs open.

Last night I did a test with MS Word, MS Excel, Firefox, TaxCut and Google Earth all running and I was a touch above 2GB usage.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before I retired, I did circuit and equipment design and it got pretty intense some times, but not one of anybody in our Engineering office/lab used any Mac computers...not even one. And I never had any issues when designing anything. Of course our IT department made sure we stayed working without any issues because time was/is money doing design. From concept to finish product(s) was always a rushed ordeal. No time for computer issues... I loved that job and it never seems like work to me! :cool:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am a circuit designer for a medium sized engineering company. 1000 employees or so. As far as laptops go, we have a 50/50 mixture of MACs that are assigned to managers. We have PCs running Windows 7 for 99% of the desktops used for engineering design work. We also have a lot of servers that run Linux. For basic design work, NONE of the desktop machines have more than 8GB. If anyone runs the tools like I have on my machine, they get loaded with 32 or 64 GBytes. Our build servers get the max they can hold.

For home, I have a Windows 7 desktop with 4GB and I have a MacBook Air for a laptop that I also run 64b Windows 7 on when I want to(dual boot). It also has 4 GB.

I have run circuit simulation and FPGA build tools on my machine when I did engineering consulting work.

Best thing I have ever done with my desktop is to put a SSD in it. Fast boot up.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yes, if she is doing graphic design, then yes, you need a lot of RAM. Surprised she doesn't use a MAC for graphic design. I have 2 friends in the graphic design advertising business and the whole industry is MAC.

Be interesting to see a screen shot of the MS Resource Monitor while she has these programs open.

Last night I did a test with MS Word, MS Excel, Firefox, TaxCut and Google Earth all running and I was a touch above 2GB usage.

She knows how to use a Mac, but now a days, they are really not needed for the stuff she does, and she works with many national companies and print houses. In our part of the world, there are very few Mac's, there is not even a place to buy one locally, if you want one, you have to order it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
At my work I just designed a memory controller for DDR4 memory. What a pain in the butt! I know it is faster and more reliable but they sure didn't make it easy for designers to use it.

One good thing is that it allows us to use less memory because we now have more throughput. Our issues are always speed and not amount of RAM. We use a bunch of DDR4 on our boards that we design.

southkogs

Staff member
I've found for the most part the critical mixture of design/engineering/graphics software is enough RAM (not necessarily a ton, but enough) and a BETTER THAN MOST graphics card. I do design/graphics/modeling work on a Mac platform most of the time, but I also run a CAD suite on Windows 7. That CAD suite will kill a system with a sissy graphics card.