Slow burning birch is making charcoal

rbh

Fleet Admiral
We have been burning seasoned (dry) birch in our air tight stove and have found it is making charcoal instead of burning all the way to ash.
Is the only way to get a total burn just burn it hotter??

We do not need all that heat and would like to dampen it down some.

Or maybe do a birch-fir/spruce/pine/larch mix?

nwcove

Admiral
be careful with that slow burn ! burn smaller hot fires if possible. my air tight hot water boiler can get scary if the the draft stays shut for to long , then opens when the water temp drops......kapoof ....it blows cinders out of both drafts.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I'd mix it in with other wood. I am not sure what temperatures you a running but stoves do have their limits. For a number of years I ran my Vermont Castings Stove too hot. (700° on the top grate). The red porcelain flue would turn purple. After a couple of years I had to replace some of the inner panels as the high heat warped them. Now I keep the top of the box (there is actually a griddle like top that opens up) between 500 and 600°. That excessive heat also allowed flames to get up into the catalytic converter, which would cause it to crack and break apart.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
We are running a blaze king- king model.
On the round in stove thermometer I try and keep it 1/3 into the burn zone and on the chimney thermometer around 400 F (that is half way into the burn zone)

It has an accurate die metal draft control, just set and almost forget.

thumpar

Admiral
I like birch because of the heat output but I split it down to about 4" pieces and mix it with other wood. Usually I will get a fire going with other wood and then throw a piece of birch on. Then keep using both birch and other. At night I put a piece of birch on before bed. It has always burned good in our Osburn insert.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
burning wood in an air-tight stove is how they make charcoal. need oxygen for a complete burn, however your fire will be hotter.