Anybody have a chrome plating shop they can recommend?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a small piece of cold roll steel I need to have chrome plated and we don't have any local companies that offer this service, have any of you guys had something plated and do you have anybody you can recommend?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What type of chrome are you looking for? Decorative or hard plating?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would have made it out of 17-4ph Stainless. might be cheaper than chrome plating. Mcmaster sells it in short lengths. PM me dimensions of the pin, I can see what we have in the scrap bin.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would have made it out of 17-4ph Stainless. might be cheaper than chrome plating. Mcmaster sells it in short lengths.
i would agree. EPA regulations have made plating cost skyrocket in the past 10 years

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would have made it out of 17-4ph Stainless. might be cheaper than chrome plating. Mcmaster sells it in short lengths. PM me dimensions of the pin, I can see what we have in the scrap bin.

Thanks Scott, it is actually a pretty simple piece, it is 9.25 inches long, 1 inch diameter, I have to drill two 5/16 inch holes in it, one at each end for the Lynch Pins that keep it is place. The original pin was CR1018, which is the same thing I picked up, I can drill the holes myself in the shop, I don't know that I could drill stainless, I probably could, but it would take a while. Who ever designed the original was not the smartest person in the world.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Thanks Scott, it is actually a pretty simple piece, it is 9.25 inches long, 1 inch diameter, I have to drill two 5/16 inch holes in it, one at each end for the Lynch Pins that keep it is place. The original pin was CR1018, which is the same thing I picked up, I can drill the holes myself in the shop, I don't know that I could drill stainless, I probably could, but it would take a while. Who ever designed the original was not the smartest person in the world.

Not an issue. Just slow the RPM to about half or a third of what you use for steel, and feed with enough pressure to keep the drill bit cutting. Oh and use plenty of oil/WD40 to keep both the drill bit and work piece COOL.;);):joyous:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Who ever designed the original was not the smartest person in the world.
Why do you think that?

As a design Engineer, I'd rather shear a "cheap" carbon steel pin than bend a cylinder rod or support bracket.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Scott, I will see what I come up with, I know a stainless would sure be a lot more durable in the long run.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I love stainless steel and have drilled through allot of it. Slow and cutting oil.......but my secret ingredient is the carbide drill ;) If this was a year ago I just gave away a piece of ss rod stock that would have worked perfect..... ;(

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I love stainless steel and have drilled through allot of it. Slow and cutting oil.......but my secret ingredient is the carbide drill ;) If this was a year ago I just gave away a piece of ss rod stock that would have worked perfect..... ;(

Well darn Bob, story of my life, Day late and a Dollar short!

:sleeping::lol:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
17-4ph is 110ksi material vs the 36-40ksi for the CR1018. it is almost as hard as a grade 8 bolt. so you will need lots of coolant, and a good quality drill bit. http://www.mcmaster.com/#17-4-ph-stainless-steel-rods/=uv534r

440C is a bit softer at 64ksi, however the same price http://www.mcmaster.com/#440c-stainless-steel-rods/=uv54c4

Hey Scott,

You wouldn't happen to have a piece or two of the 1 1/16 stainless banging around in the scrap bin would you? I would need one or 2 pieces about 9.25 inches long.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
would most likely have 1" or 1-1/4" 1-1/16" is an odd size. I can look.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, tried the new pivot pin out yesterday, and it worked out great, I would like to have something a little more durable, but this should last through the season and then when it is warm and dray, I am going to tear the whole thing apart and add a couple of grease fittings that will also help and if I can come up with hard chrome plate or stainless, then it will be real durable. The biggest problem is, this is a big heavy plow almost 9' long and weighs close to a 1000 pounds, so any movement in the pivot points can wear or break things real quick and throw in that I am plowing a couple of miles of un-even gravel road and you have the perfect storm for breaking something! Scott, let me know what you come up with.