Reloading HP all in one software

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The other day, Avast popped up and said there was a 'root kit' infection in a file that was obviously an HP file. This was kind of strange as I seldom use this particular computer to go on the internet. Anyway, I let Avast take care of the file. Fast forward a few days, I tried to send a Fax using the HP director software and got a note saying it could not communicate with the printer. So I guess that Avast must have messed up the works.

Sooooo, I uninstalled all the HP All In One Software and set about to re-install it using the CD and instructions that came with the printer. The install got to Install step 3/4 and started to "validate install-file hpopin05.exe". The progress bar finally filled out but it has now just stopped showing 0% progress in installing step 3 of 4.

Any suggestions as to what is going on or what to do. I have the printer USB cable disconnected as instructed (the install program is supposed to instruct when to plug it in). Also, there is no option to cancel the install so that I might try and start over. I am using the installation disk that came with the printer and was originally used to install it.

alldodge

Staff member
I would suggest uninstall the HP software and Avast. Then reinstall the HP software and then reinstall the latest Avast software. Don't use Avast so not sure if it's just an issue with Avast or HP. Could be since Avast removed the HP exe file once, it won't let it do it again

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Your virus software caught a false positive and when you had it delete the file, it flagged it as malicious software and will not let you reinstall it, turn your virus software off, clear your virus software logs and then try to re-install it. Once something is flagged as malicious it can be very difficult to re-install it, you might have to go into the registry and edit the registry key for your virus software.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Do the above and also download the latest HP software from their website to reinstall from. That way the drivers are the newest available.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Do the above and also download the latest HP software from their website to reinstall from. That way the drivers are the newest available.

That is what I am doing as I type. The installation seems to have stalled at 7/8 ths. I just now disabled my Avast. If this does not work, I will uninstall the Avast program and try the HP software download again. I just looked over and the online download has failed. I will delete Avast and try it again.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Well, yesterday's attempt to download the software from HP's website did complete. However when you opened the HP Directors box, there were only about two of the eight or so function icons present. This time I uninstalled the software using REVO uninstaller (the say it digs deeper) and also uninstalled Avast. Today I will try re-downloading the software from HP. The amount of time this has consumed is ridiculous.

thumpar

Admiral
At some point in the setup it will usually give you the option of which items you would like to install or offer a custom install where you can select the items. Make sure everything you want is selected.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
At some point in the setup it will usually give you the option of which items you would like to install or offer a custom install where you can select the items. Make sure everything you want is selected.

Yeah, thumpar, on my next install attempt I will choose the custom option and see if all those missing options are listed. These were things like 'scan text', 'scan a picture', 'send a fax', etc, etc.