Linux install and dual boot with windows 8.1

bigdee

Commander
Getting new PC with windows 8.1. Bios has been replaced with UEFI which according to some of my computer gurus will make it difficult to install Ubuntu along side windows (dual boot). Anyone have thoughts on this??

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have read that the bios can be run in legacy mode, but have not investigated it, I normally run Ubuntu on a separate computer instead of trying to do a dual boot system. I have never had good luck trying to run dual systems for some reason.

thumpar

Admiral
What is the reason for the Linux OS? If it is for some special function you could just run Linux in a virtual machine and have them both at the same time.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What is the reason for the Linux OS? If it is for some special function you could just run Linux in a virtual machine and have them both at the same time.

I run Linux on a different computer, because I also have Apache installed and can play with different things before I implement on our Web Servers, I have Linux on one of my Dell blade servers and I have Windows Server 2008 r2 on the other one, which gives me real flexibility when I am writing new code for the web. I do know a lot of people actually like Linux much more than Windows.