Loading Win XP onto a new harddrive?

thumpar

Admiral
I have a VM install of Windows 10. Looks good but I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet. You can download the preview.

bassman284

Commander
When I said updates were still available I meant all the old ones. Not any new ones.
Actually, I've been getting new updates about every month since the support cutoff, sometimes oftener (XP Home). Just got one a couple of days ago. The downside to this is every update slows my poor old computer down a little more and the most recent update is no exception. The CPU thrashes like a NASCAR driver trying to get his lap back. I suspected something after the first post-support update and it became pretty obvious after the second. Chrome is part of the problem but IE isn't really any better. Microsoft wins, I'll be getting a new computer in the next week or two.

thumpar

Admiral
There are some really good deals out there right now because of the holidays. I usually recommend Costco because they extend the warranty for a year past the manufacturer warranty. Just last week I had a customer that bought a computer from Costco 1 year 3 months ago. The hard drive was failing. She called the main Costco number and they said to send it in for warranty. She called the local store to see if they could do anything to get it fixed faster. The guy she talked said to bring it in and they will give her a brand new computer.

Last edited:

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The XP updates you are getting are probably for the security essentials.