Garage heaters

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Looking to pick up a small heater to use in the garage, the garage is only about 250sq ft. Have been looking at both kerosene and propane type heaters in the 23000btu range figuring that would be more than enough. Question is which type is more fuel effiecent or which type is cheaper to operate? I see kerosene in my area is about $8.50 a gallon. I also already have an oil filled electric heater, the one that looks like an old radiator. Haven't tried it out there yet but don't thnk it would work very well.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Are you looking at portables? I like the propane versions better, because as you mention kerosene is expensive and in my area it is not easy to find, unless you put in a large outside tank and buy a lot of it at one time.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yes, the portable ones. I don't have a problem with supply of either fuel. The ones I'm looking at state about 11 hrs use on 1.9 gallons of kerosene or 11 hrs on 40lbs of propane. So after a little more research I think it's looking as if the kerosene may be cheaper to use.

alldodge

Staff member
In most cases you need a bit more BTU's with kerosene over propane due to the fact you need to ventilate with more fresh air for kerosene

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
From what I read a 23000btu heater will heat a 1000 sq ft, I've only 250 sq ft so I don't see that as a problem. And this garage isn't sealed or insulated very well.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I've been around the bigger torpedo heaters and I can deal with the smell.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Make sure you have a supply of fresh air. You don't want to poison yourself with carbon monoxide. If you find yourself getting a headache or groggy get out to fresh air right away.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I started out using an electric heater, but it was not big enough for the job of heating my 24' X 36' workshop. So I swapped over to K1 Kerosene. Yes there is a little smell but after a while you get use to it and it isn't noticeable then. But if you tune your Kerosene heater properly like the direction specify, the smell is very little at best. When it is out of tune (meaning not the proper air to fuel setting) then it smells worst. And kerosene is available in most any place like Lowe's, Home Deport, and even Wal-Mart too. Even some small hardware stores sell K1 Kerosene. K1 Kerosene is a more purer form to help eliminate the smell and burn much cleaner. I'd go with the K1 Kerosene if it were me. But again JMHO!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I heated our garage with kerosene for a few years. I have a portable one that is made for heating inside so it isn't to smelly or dirty. Kerosene runs about $4 - $5 dollars per gallon on average and it can be bought at any gas station 24 hours a day where I live. Propane heat is a good heat source as well, but most propane heaters used for workshops or jobsites can't or shouldn't be used in a house. I like kerosene for that purpose. I have a natural gas furnace in my garage now. My garage is nearly 2000 square feet so the furnace was a better option for me. I still have the kerosene heater though. Spare 5 gallons of kerosene as well just incase the power fails.

Tnstratofam

Commander
A 2000 square foot garage!!!!! Hell my house is not that big! Geeze!

There is a story to that. My house is only 1075 square feet. The only reason we bought the place was because we had room enough for all our junk in the garage in the back.:D

Tnstratofam

Commander
The kerosene one you linked is almost exactly like mine. Like I said it heated my workspace real well, and I like the radiant heat it puts our a little better than the fan forced type. We use the forced air type for work in new construction and they do work well though.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
OK then, lets go through the strokes!
First off, how much insulation do you have??
If you are not insulated ,walls, doors and ceiling and your just looking for heat when your working.

Go for a blasting radiant heater, you can not hold the heat anyways.
If you insulate this includes the door walls and ceiling, everything is OK, your choice.

Just remember no insulation = constant heating.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I do realize the effect of no insulation. Just looking to warm it up enough so that I can work out there w/o seeing my breath or the tools sticking to my fingers. Not looking to be out there in a T-shirt and shorts. But thanks for the reminder!

aspeck

Staff member
I know kerosene heaters have improved greatly over the years ... And I have not owned one for about 15 years. I got rid of mine because I did not like the film that coated everything after extended use. That film can be no fun in a workshop where you are prepping things for joining or painting. I don't have that problem since I switched to natural gas.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Nat gas would be great if only I had a line going out to the garage! I even have a gas heater that was in an upstairs room that is no longer being used. Unfortuneately it's not in the budget to run 150' of buried gas pipe out to the garage. Upon further investigation I'v found that there are no suppliers close by that will refill samll propane tanks. 30lbs or larger.. And the really small tanks that the gas stations and home supply stores carry for gas grills won't last long and here cost $20.00 with exchange.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check with your local gas co. When I built my last garage I bought the gas line and risers from them and put the line in myself. I dug the trench bought the line and risers. The only real cost was to do the live connection and pressure test to the house. Can't remember the actual cost but I do know it was a lot cheaper to do it all myself than to hire someone else to do it.