Air Compressor Wisdom

ehenry

Commander
All, I need a little wisdom on a big honkin Champion 60 gallon upright air compressor I've been given......The compressor works and is functional. It builds pressure and cuts off at the set point. The only thing I can see about it that need replacing are the pressure gauges. My question is this......can the compressor be laid on its side to be moved if I drain the oil out without damaging anything? Its going to have to be laid down anyway to replace the drain **** in the very bottom of the tank and I was planning on doing that when I moved it. I have a tractor with a FEL and forks. I've got to move it from where its located down a 1/4 mile gravel drive, through my property to my shop. I'm figuring if I already have it laid down on the forks, it cant fall and really damage something.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I laid my 65 gallon on its side to bring it home, then I set it up and allowed it to stand for 48 hours so the oil would drain back down in the motor and have never had a problem with it and that was 6 years ago. I don't believe I would try it now with the temps so low.

dwco5051

Commander
The old timers I knew used the rule of thumb that let it sit upright for as long as it was on it side and any oil that may have leaked from the crancase into the cylinders should drain back. Those compressors were splash lubricated and pretty simple construction.

ehenry

Commander
I don't plan on using it right away when I move it. It may very well sit for a month or more before I plumb it up and get it wired in. I just want to get it away from where it is since they are trying to sell the property.

Its been in the 20s here for the last couple days but its suppose to get back in to the 70s this weekend......a fine howdydo for he opening weekend of deer season.

Last edited:

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Taking so e time to drain the oil definitely won't hurt before you move it. If temps are cold, use a heat gun or the Admiral's hair dryer to warm it up. The oil will flow easier when you drain it. Once you get it to its final location refill with oil and you should be good.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would drain the oil anyway. it probably needs replacing.

also, when you pull the drain ****, put a 90 degree fitting and a section of pipe out to make draining the tank easier in the future when sitting on the ground. I put my compressor in the attic of my last shop so that I could simply hang a bucket under the drain to catch the condensation.

Bondo

Staff member
I would drain the oil anyway. it probably needs replacing.

also, when you pull the drain ****, put a 90 degree fitting and a section of pipe out to make draining the tank easier in the future when sitting on the ground. I put my compressor in the attic of my last shop so that I could simply hang a bucket under the drain to catch the condensation.

Ayuh,..... It's a compressor, not an ole refrigerator,... No problem layin' it over, so long as the oil is cared for,....

I agree with Scott,....
I've been puttin' this sorta drain on my compressors, to make drainin' the water outa the tanks, Much easier,....
Dagnabit, can't post my picture of a cable pull tank drain,....

Last edited:

ehenry

Commander
I'ven o clue when the last time the water was drained out of this thing. In the 15 years I've lived next door to it. I know the woman that lived there didnt drain it......ever! Damn thing may be half full of water!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'ven o clue when the last time the water was drained out of this thing. In the 15 years I've lived next door to it. I know the woman that lived there didnt drain it......ever! Damn thing may be half full of water!

Compressor tanks need to be drained at the end of every day after you use it. Not sure I would trust a tank that has never been drained.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I do understand the reasoning behind draining air compressor tanks and I do that often, but certainly not daily. I get lots of water in mine during the humid days of summer myself. And I also make very sure I drain the tank before every painting effort as well and install a water/moisture trap at the gun also. But in reality, even draining an air tank does not remove all the moisture in any tank. There will always be some moisture in every air compressor tank at any given time. So the rust issue is not as worrisome to me. And knowing that as an air tank rusts from the inside out. The weakest point of rusty metal will start leaking air long before any danger could set in. I've see that with itty bitty tiny pin holes that form and allow air to start spewing out... So I honestly don't worry about internal rust. You can't stop it and how many tanks have I myself ever heard of exploding from rusting? Not even one! But that is just my uneducated opinion and not a suggestion to anybody else!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It doesn't surprise me when I hear of people that don't drain the compressors daily. My friend is a mechanical engineer and does expert witness testimony. He was hired by a Sears attorney to represent them against a guy whose tank exploded and was suing Sears. It was determined that the tank rusted from improper drainage being done.

Tanks do explode and can hurt people including your family. Why not heed the warning that every compressor manufacturer tells you to do?

When someone like gm280 says stuff like this I cringe. Why even say it?

You can't stop it and how many tanks have I myself ever heard of exploding from rusting? Not even one!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...sion-1.2455194

Last edited:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
GM280, I had one rupture while I was kneeling beside it several yrs ago. This was due to not being drained by the PO. Several screws in the left femur, a plate in the left tibia, a lot of broken bones in the left hand and it's not fully functional but I am able to use it. So now you've heard of one rupturing or as some like to call it, exploding.
ehenry, Lift it w/ your loader and use a slag hammer or a punch to tap around the bottom of the tank. If it dents easily keep the pump, motor and controls and get rid of the tank.
Mike

ehenry

Commander
mla2ofus, thanks for the wisdom.....sorry to hear of your accident. I did tap around on the bottom of the tank and it seems solid. Mind you I didn't just wail on it but hit a number of good licks.

Are Champion compressors good units?