Had enough of my cable company...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
One nice thing about both Ooma and MajicJack(i think it is true with MJ) is that if you are in a location with no cell service but have wifi, you can make calls with a free app on your smartphone. This is especially useful for me since there is lousy cell service at my GF's cabin in our local mountains.

Yes, with the introduction of the MJ GO model, you can download the app for free and use Wi-Fi to make your calls. That is if you have a smartphone, heck I don't even have a cell phone, due to the fact, no cell service at my house, live to far out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, with the introduction of the MJ GO model, you can download the app for free and use Wi-Fi to make your calls. That is if you have a smartphone, heck I don't even have a cell phone, due to the fact, no cell service at my house, live to far out.

It is a great feature. Before I knew they had it, I was planning on bringing my Ooma with me up to the cabin. Now I don't need to.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Extensions? I just use a 3 station cordless phone system, have two in the house and one in the garage. All 3 are working through the magic jack, which is hooked directly to my router and not to a computer like the old MJ. Paid $49.00 for the device, which includes the first year of service and then it is $35.00 a year after the first year for service, so $35 bucks vs $1200 a year I am now paying!

We have a big house, MT. We have two 3 cordless phone sets, 3 single cordless phone units, one fax connection and one wired desk phone that I use for a headset. That makes 6 separate connections throughout the house. If I could not feed them all, then I am not interested in alternatives.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We have a big house, MT. We have two 3 cordless phone sets, 3 single cordless phone units, one fax connection and one wired desk phone that I use for a headset. That makes 6 separate connections throughout the house. If I could not feed them all, then I am not interested in alternatives.

Boom, I have 5 acres and I can talk on the phone anywhere on my property.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
And to think when this all started you were paying for " commercial free t.v", that's why it cost money, no advertisers to offset the cost! Haha, they really took it to us good! I wonder if an original subscriber could sue the provider for not fulfilling there obligation

bassman284

Commander
At our old house we could only get 1.5mb DSL through the phone company. It just wasn't cutting it because when I would do a big download Netflix would cut out on the TV. I switched to the local cable company for internet. At first I was leery because they always had poor service but it has worked out OK. I get 50mb but they offer up to 105mb. The fastest the phone company can do is 20mb but you have to get fiber to get it and that only works if you are a couple hundred feed from a splice.
Hmmm. Where I live we can get up to 220mb on the DSL fiber optic if you want to pay $200 a month, I get 40mb for $54 a month. May not be the best deal around but works for me. Fiber optic is not really dependent on distance.

thumpar

Admiral
Hmmm. Where I live we can get up to 220mb on the DSL fiber optic if you want to pay $200 a month, I get 40mb for $54 a month. May not be the best deal around but works for me. Fiber optic is not really dependent on distance.
If it is fiber it is not DSL. I know that fiber is not distant dependant but that is all that will do here. I am sure if you paid the cost of the line to be run they would do it though. Some of my customers have point-to-point fiber so I understand the way it works.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
......If it is fiber it is not DSL...... .

I don't think that that is the case, thumpar. It is my understanding that many areas have had copper replaced with fiber optics for land line service. They run the FO up the main drags then tie in to the copper feeding the neighborhoods. That is the only way they have been able to deliver any respectable speeds. There are some locales that still have not gotten FO main trunks. Their landline DSL is still in the pits.

thumpar

Admiral
I don't think that that is the case, thumpar. It is my understanding that many areas have had copper replaced with fiber optics for land line service. They run the FO up the main drags then tie in to the copper feeding the neighborhoods. That is the only way they have been able to deliver any respectable speeds. There are some locales that still have not gotten FO main trunks. Their landline DSL is still in the pits.
The trunks have been fiber for a long time but if it is fiber coming in to your house it is not DSL that would just be a fiber connection.

bassman284

Commander
The trunks have been fiber for a long time but if it is fiber coming in to your house it is not DSL that would just be a fiber connection.
Yeah thumpar, you're right. We have fiber to the house and then cat 5 inside. I had DSL so long that's what I still call it.