blueing a rifle.

nwcove

Admiral
son bought a used semi auto 306 rifle a few weeks ago, got his deer , now wants me to redo the gun. i have done my own 30.30 winchester, and a few of the pellet guns the kids had when they were kids. my question is, how hard is a typical semi to take apart enough to do a good job? should i even think about taking it apart enough to do a good job? ( dont know the model or make of this rifle....but will find out). if there are no red flags for the dissasembly/reassembly of a semi auto, any tips on products etc etc?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Contact the mfg. they usually have the manuals in pdf form for free downloading. As far as dissasembly,it's really not that bad. Just get the manual first.

nwcove

Admiral
thanks grub! i dont feel comfortable doing a " nut and bolt" blueing job , but if the mfg has pdfs on how to break the rifle down , that will be of great help.

southkogs

Staff member
A lot of the semi actions are actually rather simple. The feeder can be a little complex, but I'm surprised at how easily some of the semi-autos come apart.

robert graham

Admiral
I've tried the liquid/do-it-yourself blue chemical on a rifle but the results were not all that great...believe the metal preparation and proper blue bath and chemicals that a real gunsmith would give you better/more permanent results....all depending on how much you want to invest in this job....Good Luck!...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've read all the comments and like most anything else, the finish will be all in the prep work. Once you take the rifle apart, and that really isn't the hard part, you have to polish the action (barrel, receiver) to the mirror smooth finish you want the rifle to reflect after it is blued. What I mean is, if you want an amazing deep rich mirror blue result, you have to polish the metal before bluing it to that mirror finish. If you are simply wanting to just cover over everything and not work all the rust pits and scratches and such out. Then your finish will be of that quality as well. Just remember, bluing will NOT cover up and imperfections... Reread that again. There are other finishes to look at as well. Dura-coat makes aerosol finishes that mimics a blued gun finish. Look into that if you don't want to do all that polishing. It does look very nice once dried and it very weather resistance as well. Just a thought!