Putting a tire on a rim?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Anybody got any good ideas on putting a tire back on a rim, one of my walk behind snow blower tires went bad and was leaking, almost a brand new tire, just bought the blower last Dec, and this tire has leaks at the seam on one of the manufactures imprints, so I figure, just put a tube in it, I popped one side off the rim, pick up a tube, put it in and now I will be darned if I can stretch that tire back over the lip of the rim! If it was Monday, I would drop by a tire shop, but we are going to have snow today and I would really like to get it put back together before I need it instead of after the fact!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If you have tire spoons or dull flathead screwdrivers and some liquid dish detergent it should be a fairly easy thing to do, just do not pinch the tube.

Bondo

Staff member
Anybody got any good ideas on putting a tire back on a rim, one of my walk behind snow blower tires went bad and was leaking, almost a brand new tire, just bought the blower last Dec, and this tire has leaks at the seam on one of the manufactures imprints, so I figure, just put a tube in it, I popped one side off the rim, pick up a tube, put it in and now I will be darned if I can stretch that tire back over the lip of the rim! If it was Monday, I would drop by a tire shop, but we are going to have snow today and I would really like to get it put back together before I need it instead of after the fact!

Ayuh,.... Ya don't stretch the tire at all,....

Ya push the on-side down into the smaller part of the rim, to allow the off-side to slip over the outside lip of the rim,....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys, should go easier now, I finally found my tire spoons!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Somebody ought to invent some type of expanding foam for these tires, so that when this happens or you have bad sidewall from the factory like I do, you simply take the center of the valve stem out, put the expanding foam in, spin it, let is sit for an hour or so and then away you go!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Somebody ought to invent some type of expanding foam for these tires, so that when this happens or you have bad sidewall from the factory like I do, you simply take the center of the valve stem out, put the expanding foam in, spin it, let is sit for an hour or so and then away you go!

green goo from Home Depot worked on my mower for three years until I sold it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
green goo from Home Depot worked on my mower for three years until I sold it.

I have Slime, that I use in my ATV tires, unfortunately, it doesn't work on sidewall problems, been using Slime for years now because of where I live, normally when I purchase new tires, they get Slime first thing, that way I don't have to worry about it.

That said, I finally got the darn thing on the rim, this was worse than my 18 inch tires on my big mud truck!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Tires are like a chinese finger puzzle. You have to push the bead down below the wheel center, and hold it there with your foot or by hand, then carefully work the opposite side of the bead below the flange.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Tires are like a chinese finger puzzle. You have to push the bead down below the wheel center, and hold it there with your foot or by hand, then carefully work the opposite side of the bead below the flange.

No Shite! Buddy, but I have actually changed tires on the rim, when out in the woods and it was not as hard as this little 6 inch tire, geeze.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... They already do such a thing,... Foam filled tires are used on Alota construction equipment, insteada calcium filled,...

Super Expensive,....

A local Tire shop here put in a machine to do tractor tires a few years back,....
I've known the Owners for decades,....
Anyways, I mentioned to Tommy 'bout that time, that I had 4 house(boat) trailer tires that I'd let his guys practice on,...
'n I'd pay him for the service anyways,... both of Us not knowin' any sorta pricin' schedule,...
So I left the tires at his shop,....
A few weeks later, Tom called , 'n said to stop on by,...
When I got there, my tires were all done,... rock solid, but with give,...
'n Heavier than 'ell,... over triple their original weight,.... maybe more,...
Back in Tom's office, I'm thinkin' 2, maybe $300. for the 4,....
Tom hands me the internal invoice from his guys, 'n there's over $800.00 worth of foam in those 4 tires,.... WOW,...!!...
Tom tells me to pick my jaw off the floor, as he ain't chargin' me that invoice, but would ya throw me 1/2 that,..??..??.. Please,...??
Considerin' what Tom, his Brother, 'n his Crews have done for me over the decades, I agreed, 'n wrote 'im a check for $400., out the door, taxes included,....
The good side is, my houseboat trailer will Never have a flat tire,....
Bein' house trailer axles, keepin' 'em on the axles is the tough part,...
Broken 1 hub so far, in the 6/ 8 years since I built the wagon,....

Oh, 'n Cheney Tire got outa the foam fillin' biz barely a year after gettin' into it,...
Tom says it's cheaper to truck 'em to Syracuse, 'n back than the machine, 'n expense was worth,...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I was poking around this morning looking at the foam options for tires and ran into a bunch of youtube videos, there are a bunch of guys using standard open cell insulation foam in their small tractor tires, they drill a hole or two in the sidewall of the tire and then fill with foam!, seems to me that would crush down pretty quick in a tractor tire!

Bondo

Staff member
I was poking around this morning looking at the foam options for tires and ran into a bunch of youtube videos, there are a bunch of guys using standard open cell insulation foam in their small tractor tires, they drill a hole or two in the sidewall of the tire and then fill with foam!, seems to me that would crush down pretty quick in a tractor tire!

Ayuh,.... My thoughts as well,.... the only reason I ain't tried it yet,..... ;)

youtube ain't exactly a completely Reliable resource,.... :rolleyes:

The stuff they pumped into my wagon tires is more like a cured block of silicone caulkin,..... Rubbery, not Crunchy,.....
They mount the tire up-right, 'n pump it in through the valve stem,...
A hole is punched top center, 'n mine had a ssteel screw screwed into it, at that point,...

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a solid tire for my wheelbarrow some years back. Little more$ but worth it in AZ.