Hitachi Rotary Hammer smoking...

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone

I have a free Hitachi DH40MR 1-9/16" SDS Max Rotary Hammer that is smoking and blows the breaker

I took it apart and the comucator was black so I polished it with a very fine stone
still does the same thing....

I do have an ohmmeter but not sure how to fix this problem
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does what we say about free boats hold true for free power tools? :eek:

Does the hammer try to work or is it dead as soon as you hit the trigger? Your nose should help to tell which part is smoked. Agree with foodfisher, if the windings are toast, it's done.

dwco5051

Commander
Many times when they get that hot the brushes look OK but the temper may have been lost in the springs and it will just begin again to arc and discolor the armature.

Last edited:

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since this IS a boating forum might I suggest tying a rope around the handle and using it as an anchor....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Take it apart,every last screw,bearings,switches,housings,blades,ect... Save what you think you could use,box it up,date the box,throw away the rest. In one year when you find the box of parts you saved,but haven't touched....throw that away also...

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all your answers! it's very helpful

I googled "burnt windings" and found a promising "how to" page and posted the link

Looks easy enough so I will give it a try and post back the results

I know where it's smoking ( near the brushes)
I will do the smell test, and test the Controller Circuit that's $214 but the drill is worth well over $500 and change