Gas Grill Question

Volphin

Lieutenant
Ok, so I've had the same gas grill since 1994. :laugh: When items wear out like the burner or the gates, I just order new ones. This will be my 3rd. refurb on this unit, at a cost of $50 in parts. Am I just being cheap? A new grill comparable to the unit I have is $500-$700. Why would I replace it when it is so easy to refurb it again every 7 years or so?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What do you want someone to convince you to spend money you don't need to? Let see, you have to spend about $50 every 7 years or spend $500 bucks, at your current rate, you can use the darn thing for 70 years for the same price you would pay for a new one! They all do the same exact thing, cook food!

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
As long as the parts are available, keep putting it back in service. I had a great Coleman SS 3 burner grill and, when the burner elements needed replacing, Coleman had the parts listed as NLA - Arggggg! My new grill is a Weber.

Volphin

Lieutenant
What do you want someone to convince you to spend money you don't need to? Let see, you have to spend about $50 every 7 years or spend $500 bucks, at your current rate, you can use the darn thing for 70 years for the same price you would pay for a new one! They all do the same exact thing, cook food!

LOL I KNOW right? And I use mine almost 4 nights a week. Charbroil makes a tank of a grill man... I just wanted a reality check.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Yup, we rebuild as well. The 10 year warranty has been great!
One thing I did buy was called a flavour waver?? it got rid of the lava rocks it was a SS rack with ridges to let the heat/flame through but catch and burn the drippings, so much better than the rocks

Weber as well, same MFG as broil king.

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
As long as the parts are available, keep putting it back in service. I had a great Coleman SS 3 burner grill and, when the burner elements needed replacing, Coleman had the parts listed as NLA - Arggggg! My new grill is a Weber.

That's exactly what happened to my last Coleman too. This one has been easy to refurb every time!
Perhaps I ought to media blast the old paint though. haha!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Is anyone using natural gas rather than propane? As I understand it, all I need is another regulator. I'm gettin too old to carry those cylinders...

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
I did the SIL to gas. Changed the orifices out, that was all that was called for. He bought the kit from the manufacturer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I switched to natural wood charcoal and never went back. However for a few people at work, we made some seriously heavy duty burners out of thick-walled stainless tube for their SS webers

Bondo

Staff member
I got same grill since 1992 . . . throw a few parts at it once in a while.

Save your money for the truly valuable things in life . . . boat parts :D

Ayuh,..... I can do 1 better than both of ya,.... I've Never, Ever bought a gas grill, 'n I've got 3 of 'em runnin',....

All of my grills were picked up on the side of the road, trash, Free,....
Good ole Dumpster Divin',...
I grab old grills whenever I find 1,...
I'll either rebuild it, or junk it for parts,...

The aluminum housin's rarely go bad,... The burners rot, the frames rot, the regulators go bad, but All are replaceable,...