Tools

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not sure which forum this would fall under so I decided this one is kinda of a catch all. If it belongs in another forum please move it.

I am looking at getting an oscillating multi-tool. What is your experience with the different brands?
Do most, or any, of the attachments cross over from brand to brand, or are you locked into one brand, one set of attachments?
Looking at corded tools so I don't have to worry about battery life, recharging, etc.

As I write this post, I am wondering if maybe iboats would consider a "Tools" forum. What do you all think?

Looking forward to opinions and suggestions. Thanks- Troy

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have had one of the Harbor Freight ones as well, have had it for about 3 years now and it works for everything I have needed one for and at the price if it breaks, I can buy several more for what some of the brand names want for theirs.

foodfisher

Captain
I bought the dremel one before HF carried them. Bits were pricey so I buy HF bits. The only prob. is the HF bits are full circle so you have to completely remove the screw to change them.

QC

Supreme Mariner
I am going to move this to Non-Boating Technical just cuz it pretty much belongs there. All good :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a craftsman. got a great deal on it. I have also used the Bosch. a really high-quality tool, with teh high price to match

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have the Harbor Freight one and I am happy with it.

Ditto! Don't use it often but when I do, it is the tool in the inventory that is suitable for the job and the HF model gets it done for a fraction of the price of others.

bigdee

Commander
I have the Harbor Freight one and I am happy with it.

Can't beat this. I bought the HF single speed 5 years ago and have worn out many blades using it. It is a workhorse and for $20 a bargain. I found out that you can reuse the old blades by re-cutting new notches with a dremmel tool....nothing precise, just a series of V notches will do the trick.

dwco5051

Commander
I have had a Dremel for about 4 years now and it has held up well. It isn't something I use everyday but it gets used often when no other type of tool would do the job. The longer you have one the more things you find it will do a pretty slick job on.

aspeck

Staff member
I also have a dremmel. It was a gift, and I love it ... 4 years now ...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The welding site that I frequent has a whole forum called "Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck".