Legal Thoughts from our forum members

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
So the issue I am asking about is the Boy child (18) sold a vehicle in Florida to a friend of his for $1000.00 cash. He filed a lien on the title when he sold it. He is now in Seattle and the guy is in Florida. He has paid a total of $200.00 and did some work for another $150.00. The only "Contract" was he would pay $50.00 a payday and this was a verbal thing. The car is not worth repossessing.

Is there any thing the Boy can do except chalk it up to experience? Small claims case? In Florida or Washington? Any ideas, thoughts, or advice is appreciated.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Check with Florida Dept of Motor Vehicles, but I would bet they are going to tell him, to file a small claims action, which is going to cost way more than what it is worth and beings it it titled in Florida, you will most likely need to file in the state of Florida small claims court.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
That was my thoughts about the claim and the costs. I have basically told him to chalk it up to experience and never sell to a friend on credit.

tpenfield

Staff member
I think what you are saying is that the Boy sold the car for an agreed price of $1,000. in the form of a loan and the buyer was supposed to pay $50 per pay period until paid off?

Not much that can be done other than to take back the car, to which he has title (the title should actually be in his posession, since he is the lein holder).

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I spoke to my brother in law, (He is a Lawyer in Illinois, so has no solid background in Florida), told me the filing fees, and court costs outweigh the value of the vehicle and since the son doesnt really wish to repossess the vehicle, he will send a demand letter with the intent of trying to shame the friend into paying.

The Boy has stated he learned a valuable lesson, never sell anything on credit even to a friend. I desire to see him recover the money but it is not my fight.

If he recovers anything, I will post an update on the experience.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
The Boy has stated he learned a valuable lesson, never sell anything on credit ESPECIALLY to a friend.

Fixed that for ya LOL. Sorry this happened to him but it does sound like he has a good head on his shoulders and isn't too hardheaded to learn. Those are two rare qualities in an eighteen year old male of the species.