Tire chain repair link question.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had to repair one of the chains for my plow truck, got a couple of repair links, put them in place, squeezed them closed, but when done, they are still open a small amount, I have never worked with this repair links before, so I was wondering, is there anyway to close them completely? I was thinking maybe a small tack weld, but really hate to dig out the welder for two little tack spots that are going to be maybe an 1/8 of an inch. Any ideas?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
On the side chains or cross chain?
If the side chain I wouldn't worry.

If the cross-chain, I'd replace the whole piece.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
On the side chains or cross chain?
If the side chain I wouldn't worry.

If the cross-chain, I'd replace the whole piece.

It is on the side chain, I replaced a cross chain as well, but didn't have the same issue. Guess I will give it a try and see what happens.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Yes the side chains are not as critical and I used to use rubber bungees to take up slack (which I made from an old truck inner tube but you gcan google it and see now they sell commercial ones tire chain bungees

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have chain tighteners, that is not a problem, they fit tight with the tighteners, I just didn't want to catch one of those partially opened links. The conditions I deal with in my area, as you have seen can be extreme!.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Last time I repaired side chains I used a right-size quick-link....I've also used a shackle.
http://www.tirechain.com/QUICK-LINK.HTM

If you ARE going to get out the welder, cut a link off a piece of side chain and then weld it closed after you use it to make the repair.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
In this application, I would trust the repair links I have way more than a quick link. As far as regular links, they have those at the local Farm and Ranch store for less than a buck each, I might pick a couple of those up and just replace the repair links I have now, I would rather do it now, then after the snow starts flying. This repair is actually replacing one of the tighteners that was destroyed by the previous owner, I cut that off the chain and put the repair links in its place that were the same diameter and length as the adjuster, each one of these rear chains have/had 4 adjusters in them. Then I will use the tighteners to cinch everything down. This will actually be the first time, I have ran chains on this rig. Unfortunately with my neighbor breaking his back, there will be no one to pull me out if I get stuck, so don't want to get stuck this year. Until he gets better, I will have to do the plowing.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Why not replace the tightener?

Have not been able to find one locally, it is a center pivot with a slide slot across the top. These are old chains and I seriously doubt I can find one. And being honest, using the rubber tighteners, they are really not needed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
These are the chains I used on a 1 ton when I was a road commissioner...... pricey but worth it. They had cam tighteners and studs. Do you have a local town/county garage? Visit them and ask where they get thier supplies from. The municipal supply places are better stocked.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No Title

Ok, here you go, the first image is the adjuster that is not broke, the second is the adjuster removed and shows the repair links.

Attachments

• photo211098.jpg
    photo211098.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211099.jpg
    photo211099.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Yup, weld them, lots of torque applied to the side chains when grinding your way up a steep driveway, did you get the T handle tool to twist the cam locks tight, find one if you can.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yup, weld them, lots of torque applied to the side chains when grinding your way up a steep driveway, did you get the T handle tool to twist the cam locks tight, find one if you can.

I can make a T-Handle with no problem, I ain't paying as much as the local shops want for them!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well crap! The V Bar chains I have finally got repaired, won't fit the rear tires! This is a dual wheeled 4x4 truck and the V Bar chains are to thick to fit between the duals! I have two sets of chains for this truck that came with it and what I thought was the front chains look like they will fit on the rear duals and the V bars on the front tires!