Fixed leaky sink pipes (PVC), now disposal dripping?

ezbtr

Commander
10 yr old house, PVC pipes, disposal a bit rusty inside, and small drips when dishwasher going, look like they coming from under side of disposal? Is there a way to fix disposal leaks? Looks like sealed unit.

alldodge

Staff member
10 yr old house, PVC pipes, disposal a bit rusty inside, and small drips when dishwasher going, look like they coming from under side of disposal? Is there a way to fix disposal leaks? Looks like sealed unit.

Never heard of anyone taking one apart and fixing, not to say it cannot be done. You can usually find the parts and owners manual online.

robert graham

Admiral
I just replaced my old rusty, noisy disposal with a brand new one from Home Depot...$90....very easy job....maybe better than trying to patch the leaks in your old unit.....take your old one to the store to match it with the new unit....

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
++ on just replace it. Don't forget to knock out the knock out for the dishwasher hook up. Don't ask how I know!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No way to fix. In condos like you have, they put the cheapest thing in they could buy. Lucky it lasted 10 years.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In my fifty year old place, I removed the disposal unit completely....at the same time that I replaced the lateral in the basement that was almost totally plugged with debris from years of running the disposal.

Nice idea to have one if you have a sufficient vertical drop to the main sewer line. Otherwise....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not any way to really fix one, it is just best to buy a new one. That said, after virtually replacing all of the drain lines in my 40 year old home, I would never have one again, talk about a mess, between the disposal and the previous owner using powder dish washing soap, the drain lines were so plugged nothing would get through it!

ezbtr

Commander
Not any way to really fix one, it is just best to buy a new one. That said, after virtually replacing all of the drain lines in my 40 year old home, I would never have one again, talk about a mess, between the disposal and the previous owner using powder dish washing soap, the drain lines were so plugged nothing would get through it!
good to know about powder soap!! Will monitor and probably replace soon :rolleyes:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
good to know about powder soap!! Will monitor and probably replace soon :rolleyes:

In the old days, when everybody ran their water heaters way to hot, it would dissolve the powered soaps, now a days with people turning them down to conserve and reduce risk of scalding, the powered stuff does not dissolve completely and over the years it clings to the pipes because it is wet and sticky and really it is not cheaper than the liquids.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My dishwasher heats up the water more than what's put into it. I thought most did! I use the tablets in my dishwasher.

I have a disposal but is never used.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My dishwasher heats up the water more than what's put into it. I thought most did! I use the tablets in my dishwasher.

I have a disposal but is never used.

Nope, mine is a basic model, just the water coming out of the hot water heater.