Buddy has a 97 F150 not started in 4 ish years, he wants me to help

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't know what you mean by loose axles. Play in the axel beyond specs is caused by bad bearings. The "oblonging" of an axle seal is caused by bad wheel bearings and is usually pushed out on the trailing side causing it to leak. Out of "true" axles woud cause a tremendous amount of vibration before the bearings and then seals would be demolished. I really don't know what you consider "newer" seals. OP's talking about a '97. Mine is a 2002. In most cases the seals will dry out and shrink. This includes valve stem seals.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't know what you mean by loose axles. Play in the axel beyond specs is caused by bad bearings. The "oblonging" of an axle seal is caused by bad wheel bearings and is usually pushed out on the trailing side causing it to leak. Out of "true" axles woud cause a tremendous amount of vibration before the bearings and then seals would be demolished. I really don't know what you consider "newer" seals. OP's talking about a '97. Mine is a 2002. In most cases the seals will dry out and shrink. This includes valve stem seals.

Not worth the argument.

At my age anything past the 80's is newer

:lol:

Last edited:

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Actually I think the op was asking if there was anything else he should put on his list. So seals are relevant to the discussion.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Actually I think the op was asking if there was anything else he should put on his list. So seals are relevant to the discussion.

Yes, they are, but physical damage because of axle problems, such as you and I have been talking about is not, I would not expect problems with axles based on it sitting, being aware that your seals may have dried out, is good information, but you and I were straying off topic. Also as I have said, with the newer compounds, I don't see dried out seals either very often, I would say your situation is the exception and not the norm, I just purchase a 91 Ford 1 ton 4wd a few months ago, that has been sitting since 97 and the seals were not dried out and work just fine with no leaks showing after a couple of thousand miles.

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No, you're right, I would not expect physical damage because of axle problems or would I expect problems with axles at all. I would however expect the axle seals to have hardened, shrunk and failing. I have seen valve stem seals fail, cylinder rings frozen, valves stuck, bad gas etc.etc.etc. all because of a vehicle just sitting and not in use. Maybe you are mtboatguy but you are not mttruck guy or his brother mtmechanicguy. Why not be a classy guy and just say you're wrong. :laugh:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe you are mtboatguy but you are not mttruck guy or his brother mtmechanicguy. Why not be a classy guy and just say you're wrong. :laugh:

I won't say I am wrong, because I am not wrong, I am an ASE Certified Mechanic and besides my career in the military as an officer, I have also worked on hundreds of trucks over the last 4 decades. If you can find a problem, I have seen it and while in the Army have seen far more extreme situations than you can imagine.

And why is it so important to try and prove me wrong?

Last edited:

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am also a mechanic. Although I don't play the military card, I have seen some extreme situations. None of which involve a vehicle that has lain dormant for 4 years.
If there were vehicles in your motor pool that were not moved for 4 or so years I would say there was something wrong. Maybe you were confused, and supervised vihicles in mothballs somewhere in Arizona. I don't know and I don't care. Now it's my turn to say.....trumpants please....You're not worth arguing with.:eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I never said, I had vehicles in my motor pool that sat for 4 years, I said, we had problems with hummers when they were first delivered. As I said earlier in this thread, it is not worth the argument, I never said YOU were not worth arguing with. Go somewhere else. Goodbye.

Last edited:

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry. Just stuck here giving out the proper advice and racking up post counts. It is interesting that you think I said that You did have when I said if you had vehicles sitting for years. Next time I'm in Boulder I'll buy you a drink.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sorry. Just stuck here giving out the proper advice and racking up post counts. It is interesting that you think I said that You did have when I said if you had vehicles sitting for years. Next time I'm in Boulder I'll buy you a drink.

You are on, I actually make it to Boulder quite often, I have several friends that live in that area and I like to visit the area to take pictures.

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used to live in Longmont and get back occasionally to visit. Built a lot of houses in Boulder in the 70's

ezbtr

Commander
Checked all fluids, buddy put in new battery(other was toast, no charge), put a bottle of Heet in 1/8 empty tank last pm, started right up, let it warm up, no issues so far :) :cool:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Good to hear that ezbtr, really after re-thinking, didn't figure there would be to many problems.

ezbtr

Commander
Good to hear that ezbtr, really after re-thinking, didn't figure there would be to many problems.
Yeah, my concern was more so the fuel, but the HEET probably helped :). He hasnt just yet driven it as no insurance or current registration, and he needs to put some air in the tires