Thinking on switching from electric to natural gas ..

bigdee

Commander
The gas stove itself is generating tons of humidity.

Yup as long as burner is adjusted correctly the main by product of gas combustion is H2O and LOTS of it! All new unvented heaters have an oxygen depletion sensor and safety shut off. My old heaters do not but if the flame is not adjusted correcly your nose and eyes would let you know. I do not run them while sleeping but in the 40 years that I have had them (yes they are that old) they have never needed adjusting.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Burning gas itself produces more humidity than you want already.

No sir you are incorrect.............. heating with a be it a portable heater or a central gas pack or furnace dries out the air of the conditioned space......... that is why many contractors sell humidifiers with a central heating system.........it's why if you heat with gas you will wake up with dry sinus' and without adding humidity once the % drops to say below 40% static electricity becomes a very annoying problem.................

actually any heat source........... hot water, steam , electric even heatpumps dry out the air.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The humidity used in the combustion of a HVAC system gets vented out. . The gas space heaters produce a ton of moisture onto the living space because it is not vented. Just look at a condensing furnace and see how much water is produced.

Last edited:

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
JaCrispy; said:
If you use your stove for emergency heat, boil pots of water.

Out of curiosity, why?

It's something to keep the cast iron pot from burning. Cast iron radiates the burner's heat more efficient for heating. Kind of like a pot belly stove.
And as long as you have the Cast iron pot or a Dutch oven on the stove and the food in the frig is going bad. Stew or soup ???

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
The humidity used in the combustion of a HVAC system gets vented out. . The gas space heaters produce a ton of moisture onto the living space because it is not vented. Just look at a condensing furnace and see how much water is produced.

A condensing furnace produces water because nearly all the heat is scavenged from the combustion gases which keeps the flue cold which intern causes the flue pipe to sweat..............
Incedentally the condensate that comes from the combustion of a high eff. furnace is some NASTY stuff.................

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I remember as a kid we always had a pot of water sitting on top of our kerosene heater ..
Guessing that was to add humidity ..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All furnaces produce water. You just don't see it because it is going up to vent as vapor.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
A 100 gallon tank of propane will produce 160 lbs of water. I use around 100 gallons/month so that is 20 GALLONS of water produced in the interior of my home monthly.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Started looking around the web at ranges.. Any brands I should shy away from ? I don't see myself spending Viking type money .. Seen a few Kenmore/Frigidaire/GE models that didn't look bad ... Looking for a slide in 30 inch ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Update ... We are cooking with gas !

Had tank installed and plumbed in today .. Luckily they had a slightly used 120 gal tank that they let go at half price of new one . Above ground horizontal tank ...
The range was a display model that was marked down 1000.oo bucks at H/D .. The Admiral is giving it a whirl this evening ... :joyous:

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's a nice looking range. Learning to cook on gas was a challenge for us at first, but we finally got the hang of it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We bought a floor model as well, plus I saw a small dent on the side (hidden when installed) and got another $100 off. $1200 unit net for $650.

I like it because I'm a habitual wrong burner-turner-oner and now I see it instantly. And when I turn off the burner it is cool instantly don't have to move the pot around.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Most CO detectors run on 110 electricity...don't work with power off.
We always contract our LP in the summer, can save a bunch.
Energy savings for a water heater do not include that your water heater helps heat your house in the summer but adds to the ac load in the winter.
Our automatic generator runs on LP and is great to have with our many power outages...We just count to 10 and it starts up automatically.
We have a 2 regulator system, One at the tank and a second at the house and the generator.
I recommend a CO detector that also detects gas.
Propane is much more dangerous than natural gas because it is heavy and pools in low areas whereas Nat gas dissipates.
Not all propane suppliers are created equal...shop around and keep an eye on your gauge.