Got an oval St. Johns drop leaf table, anyone familiar with value, info or age??

ezbtr

Commander
Girlfriend got ahold of it and wanted me to sand and weather seal it for outside, no way, this thing is old!! Flathead screws, hand assembled, dual drop leafs (which are in awesome shape as they have remained folded down for years), cherry or walnut wood, 4' long x 3' wide and 30" tall. Had to re glue center support(easy) cleaned with sponge and soapy water(didnt soak it) and wiped it down with a cloth with Pledge polish on it. Looks like it was used for years as kitchen table as a few burn marks and cup/glass ring stains and knife marks. Dont want to re stain it as of yet. Also a St Johns College sticker underneath as well as a St Johns Table company sticker, no other marks I can find yet.
Any info would be great, and yes I'm researching it :)
P.S. I'm thinking it's at least 60 yrs old, all flat head screws and 1/2" dowel rods

Central Contra Costa-20140915-00465 (1).jpg Central Contra Costa-20140915-00470.jpg Central Contra Costa-20140915-00473.jpg Central Contra Costa-20140915-00464 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Made in Michigan, but by no stretch an antique.
Your girl friend is on the right track. If she has a use for it that she would like, you'll get far more value in brownie points by finishing it as she asked you to do than it is worth in $$.
The top section is not in great shape....the leaves are pretty good, but don't seem to be original finish. You've reglued it.....that reduces the value.
It's a solid enough piece, but nothing special.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm with Tim. It appears to be in pretty tough shape. If the whole table was in the same condition of the leaves and that was the original stain, then you'd be on to something. But, it doesn't appear to have much value in its current condition. Old doesn't always equal antique. I'm not an antique expert, so I would still research it....... Stranger things have happened. Sometimes stuff that looks to be not worth anything goes for big bucks.....

ezbtr

Commander
Made in Michigan, but by no stretch an antique.
Your girl friend is on the right track. If she has a use for it that she would like, you'll get far more value in brownie points by finishing it as she asked you to do than it is worth in $$.
The top section is not in great shape....the leaves are pretty good, but don't seem to be original finish. You've reglued it.....that reduces the value.
It's a solid enough piece, but nothing special.
Had to re glue middle support dowels, leaves seem to be original (why would someone re stain just leaves??) but folded up forever, thus lots better condition, rest of table weathered, due to sun damage I'm betting, will research more and then perhaps re stain and keep inside, I really like this older furniture and it's keeping me up and active :) :D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My Dad has a very similar table that sits on the patio year around, the leaves are in great shape, the top, not so good, lots of these older tables ended up doing second string duty on decks and patios over the years.

ezbtr

Commander
My Dad has a very similar table that sits on the patio year around, the leaves are in great shape, the top, not so good, lots of these older tables ended up doing second string duty on decks and patios over the years.
what I thought!!! Already ordered new sander to replace my 25 yr old one and new poly stain, I do honestly love the lines on this old table and how its put together :) :)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Hey, I hope you didn't take my comments as negative.
If you do a good job "tuning" that up you'll have a great piece of furniture. Use the right coating and it will even stand up to some outside weather.
Real wood instead of veneered particleboard....nice!

I was just cautioning you against thinking that it might somehow fund your golden years. :)

ezbtr

Commander
Hey, I hope you didn't take my comments as negative. If you do a good job "tuning" that up you'll have a great piece of furniture. Use the right coating and it will even stand up to some outside weather. Real wood instead of veneered particleboard....nice! I was just cautioning you against thinking that it might somehow fund your golden years. :)
Oh no worries, I appreciate all the info I've gotten! :)

ezbtr

Commander
Got all my new weatherproof poly, torch and sander, I'll probably start sanding this week, maybe torch the wood to bring out oil and natural grains(had success with this before) , should be fun ! :) :D

ezbtr

Commander
question: I found some 20 yr old linseed oil, I used on gun stocks, it is weather proof and will darken wood, should I also apply the poly over that? It MAY be an outdoor table, sanding now :)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Unless it specifically says "double-boiled", don't even think of using it if you want to put ANY OTHER FINISH over it.
It never really dries completely.....at least in our lifetimes. :)

For an oil finish you could use double-boiled linseed oil, for better results shell out for Tung oil....or even better "Polymerised" Tung oil.

ezbtr

Commander
Unless it specifically says "double-boiled", don't even think of using it if you want to put ANY OTHER FINISH over it.
It never really dries completely.....at least in our lifetimes. :)

For an oil finish you could use double-boiled linseed oil, for better results shell out for Tung oil....or even better "Polymerised" Tung oil.
yeah not double boiled(20 yrs old), but will look good, also just got some nice clear poly, so will probably use it

ezbtr

Commander
No Title

Replaced some screws with dowels, redid same to daughters(20 yr old home made stool used everyday here) hit with torch, will wipe down and restain soon, son a big help and damn good!!! :) This thing(well table and stool) is so sturdy now!!! :laugh:

Attachments

• photo210734.jpg
    photo210734.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210735.jpg
    photo210735.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210736.jpg
    photo210736.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210737.jpg
    photo210737.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210738.jpg
    photo210738.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210739.jpg
    photo210739.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210740.jpg
    photo210740.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210741.jpg
    photo210741.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210742.jpg
    photo210742.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

ezbtr

Commander
No Title

Finally done!!! A whole lot stronger after reinforcing with 1/4" wood dowels, replacing old screws, fixing cracks - my son helped quite a bit as well :rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo210741.jpg
    photo210741.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211480.jpg
    photo211480.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211481.jpg
    photo211481.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0