Home made greenhouse?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Well here we go again, falls apoun us, we are getting into frost season and I still have 40+ tomatoes that still need to ripen.
​Every night now we throw a poly sheet over them and turn on the trouble light for heat
I have wanted to make a green house for years but have not seen any plans I like, the shape I want is barn, 2x4 construction, 6.6 or better in the center so I do not whack my noggin waking through.
Two 36 inch wide 10-12 feet long beds on each side with a 24 inch center aisle.
Acrylic sheeting for the roof, heavy poly for the sides, both ends closed of but have doors (cross ventilation)

Has anyone seen or made anything like this

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Here ya go, take a look through these images then find the one you want and visit their website to see what they available for plans.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Barn...w=1333&bih=599

Also, just search google for "Barn Style Greenhouse" there is a bunch of stuff out there on this style of greenhouse, you should be able to find something to fit your needs.

Last edited:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
A friend of mine ordered two of these, and he seems to be very happy with them......

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Some of those are right on the money very nice, thanks for the link MTbg.
Build the first truss on the shop floor and then a jig for the rest would be really easy, I wonder if they should be 16" or 24" on center?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
After building a couple of similar styled buildings for shed use, I would go 16" on center, give a much more stable platform for strength and snow load.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always wanted to make one from sliding doors - you can get them pretty cheap from people remodeling (I even got one for free) - didn't do it yet, but I did "glass in" my firewood (a lean to against shed) so sun dries it and it stays dry....