Ford spark plugs!

robert graham

Admiral
My good friend who works hard as a handyman/contractor runs a Ford work van with a V8 motor....one of the spark plugs blew out taking the threads with it....$2500 later it's running again.....sounds like a lot to remove a head and helicoil it......I've heard about the ongoing Ford spark plug problem....any of you folks familiar with this problem of spark plugs blowing out?....any thoughts?....

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yep, Aluminum heads have been doing it for decades...not just fords.
Blew out a plug on a 5.4L ...did not remove the head just HeliCoil kit, Price with labor was $250.00 and was over 100k ago. Still holding a couple of weeks ago when I traded the old truck for a new one. The old one had 257,000 miles on it and still ran fine with the old repair.
I'm very familiar with ford vans and can't see any reason to remove the head for a blown plug. A bore scope to check damage, a HeliCoil kit and your good to go.
huts

Tnstratofam

Commander
Had the same thing happen to my F150 last year. My mechanic who was a factory ford mechanic for 25 years has a tool to re thread the head. cost me $250.00 that included a new coil pack for the damaged spark plug. Midas doesn't have a good reputation here in Tn. A little pricey.

robert graham

Admiral
Well, you just hate to see a hard working buddy get totally ripped off!....I told him he might could have had a good used motor installed for $2500!....what can you do?....

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
This problem's been around for years. Part of it is caused, IMHO, by the supposed 100,000 mile plugs. If they're changed out no later than 80,000 miles they are less problematic.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agreed with taking them out early.

Ford has a whole set of procedures on how to remove these. My bet is Midas didn't follow them

robert graham

Admiral
Do the plugs get loose and back themselves out allowing for less threads engaged?....or what?....seems like an odd thing to happen!....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do the plugs get loose and back themselves out allowing for less threads engaged?....or what?....seems like an odd thing to happen!....
Ahh..this is a different issue that the stuck spark plugs that I was referring to.

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, this is just a case of the plugs just blowing out....I've heard of the stuck/2 part Ford spark plugs that break off in the head upon removal....sounds like a real nightmare!....

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to Midas once. ONLY ONCE !
Same here.
Clown was taking a torch to exhaust, and was VERY close to my brake line - I told them to stop, get my car off the lift, and I left.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had three F-150s and have had a plug blow out of the current one, I've also personally seen it happen to a couple of other Ford trucks. The issue is from a couple of different things, 1, there are only 4 threads in the head holding the plug, 2, the plugs aren't torqued tight enough, 3, they are supposed to be changed at 100,000 miles and nobody checks them prior to that, so when they become loose they end up blowing out.

Plus Ford dealers want over $500.00 to just change the pugs, so people don't change them earlier than needed. it's a hassle to do them, the rear plugs can be very frustrating.

Ford say's there is no issue with the plugs, but it's a common problem with these heads. The recommended Ford repair includes removing the head and is very pricy.

The problem is so common there was even a company that specialized in the repair and would fly to your location and do the job.

Heli coils are not a good solution, a better product is a Time Sert, it's a solid insert and fairly easy to do yourself. I bought the kit for about $200.00 and it maybe took 45 minutes to do. All the needed tools and parts are supplied to do all 8 plugs. You ream out the old threads, rethread the head, epoxy (it threads in) in the new insert, then put in a new stock style plug. It took longer to get everything ready than to actually do the job.

ezbtr

Commander
Midas stinks! With 85K on my 99 Yukon they were quoting me a $900 4 wheel brake job, told em to just replace pads on front for $120, that was 7 yrs ago , I just redid front rotors and pads at 121K, rears are just fine......

82rude

Rear Admiral
one of the big problems for the fords was the plug seizing in the head and when they tried to remove them they would break off and leave some of the plug still in the head.the plug mfg came up with a one piece plug that was suppose to address that.mine came out easily on my f150 (2003) 4.6 .had dealer do at 90,000 kms.cost at dealers was 200 cnd not 500 as another poster said but I believe him also.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very different problems, the blow out issue is on a different engine than the plug breaking problem, they went from one bad design to another. The $500.00 quote was directly from the dealer on a 2001 and a 2002 V-8 f-150.

The stock plugs are in the $60 a set range.

At some time in 03 the heads were supposedly changed so there were more threads holding the plugs. 97 to 03 or so had the blow out issue, later ones had the plug breaking issue.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
yes you are correct.my redin comprehension skills were off a little ,lol.was the blow out issue common as I have 3 buds that had them and have or had zero issues and all with over 250 to 300,000 kms?my one friends 1998 4.6 f150 4x4 looks like it just rolled off the assembly line!paid squat for it too!

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had three F150's from the blow-out era, only one had a plug blow out, but if you go to the F150 forums there are huge threads on the subject. It's probably the biggest issue these trucks had, other than this they were very reliable.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
I had a 97 5.4 and never blew a plug, but was always worried. I changed them myself and it was a PITA. Had to move the fuel rail and pinched a couple O rings while doing so. It was not a fun job.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are talking about 2 different motors here. The 2 Valve motors had plugs that were notorious for blowing out. He got taken by the repair shop plain and simple.

Now the 3 valves have the 2 piece plugs that are just pressed together, so as carbon builds between the plug head, they seize and split when they are pulled. Just 2 different probs and 2 different motors.