2006 4th Generation Explorer Front Bumper Cover?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I thought I would pose this question here in the off chance that anyone has had experience in removing the front bumper cover. I have some scrapes and scuffs AND a tear that would be easier to repair off the vehicle. I have googled the subject to no avail. There is info on earlier models but no 4th Gens. I am anxious to use my developing skills (aka, motorcycle fenders) to make that front bumper beautiful.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Why not repair it in place, mask it off, use adhesion promoter, paint and then move the masking back further and blend.

I guess you could stop at a body shop and ask then reward the person who answers with a 6 pack..... ;)

robert graham

Admiral
My wife messed up the grill and front headlight module on her Buick Regal and both times I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Advanced Auto had both parts(at about 1/2 dealership prices) and very helpful explaining finish and installation of these parts....all these cars are put together with assembly line fasteners and methods and are pretty darn simple....once you know their methods/tricks!..... Good luck...

southkogs

Staff member
Anything on YouTube for Boomer? Kinda' crazy how much "how to" I find on there.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Anything on YouTube for Boomer? Kinda' crazy how much "how to" I find on there.

Yes, sk, Youtube is a wonderful source but there is nothing on YouTube for the 4th Gen 'splorer.

The reason I do not want to try it in place is because it is ripped, from the bottom edge, up about 4". The uneven rip needs to be heated, then block clamped (to flatten) then welded. As it is this is all on the undercurve of the bumper and would be difficult to do without a lift. There are some other scuffs and distortions that could be remedied in situ, even the repainting of it but not this rip.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Staff member
I am willing to bet that there are only screws and clips and it should be easy. I have pulled many from various cars w/o too much problem.

Have yoiu ever welded that bumper plastic........ I know it can be done but I would suggest visiting a junk yard and buying a used bumper cover.....use your paint skills and change the color try this place for a quote too http://www.lkq.com/ I have had good luck there

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am willing to bet that there are only screws and clips and it should be easy. I have pulled many from various cars w/o too much problem.

Have yoiu ever welded that bumper plastic........ I know it can be done but I would suggest visiting a junk yard and buying a used bumper cover.....use your paint skills and change the color try this place for a quote too http://www.lkq.com/ I have had good luck there

I filled out the request, Bob. We'll see what develops. I have tried to find 4th gen Explorers in local salvage yards, to no avail.

I've never welded bumper plastic but I have a friend who has and has the tool.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, have you checked on ebay? I know I found one for my 2003 explorer and my 96 jeep that were inexpensive and good OEM quality replacements, there is one I just found for your rig on there for $138 with free shipping. Some of the companies also will paint to match and ship free for about $200.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Dunno if you've looked HERE yet Boom. That's where I got the cover for my Mountaineer's bumper (a GEN 2).

Bob_VT

Staff member
I meant to say that the other advantage to having a replacement is the ability to take your time with the refinish w/o taking the explorer out of commission

FYI at the Sheriffs Departments here the new explorer is the new go to vehicle

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, have you checked on ebay? I know I found one for my 2003 explorer and my 96 jeep that were inexpensive and good OEM quality replacements, there is one I just found for your rig on there for $138 with free shipping. Some of the companies also will paint to match and ship free for about $200.

Yeah, MT but still no info on removing one. I don't want to make a career out of this. Also, there seems to be both one piece and two piece front covers. Not sure which fits what but mine appears to be a one piece.