question for the auto machanics - 2004 Suburban

rogerwa

Commander
My wife started having a problem with her suburban. A couple weeks ago the air bag lite came on and it said to service air bag. No other symptoms. Today it started to do some funky stuff. The interior lights and door locks will cycle regularly at the same time. Probably every 5 seconds or so. Doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it will drive without doing it, but other times it will do it consistently every 5 seconds.

Just heard about it today. I disconnected battery to reset and pulled the codes. The reset did not change it and there were no codes. I checked some of the fuses that would be for the ECU but didn't find anything burned out.

Not sure where to start on this one. Any ideas or experience with this type of problem??

first check the battery voltage and the leads are clean and tight as low voltage or a loose ground can cause that.
What it sounds like is a network problem between the different module's in the truck. The network talks between the abs, engine, dash, body control etc. Bad ground connections on the modules can be to blame. I would disconnect battery and wait 10 mins then unplug and replug all the modules you can find (if you look on line you should be able to find the location of the power windows (also does doom light and power locks) module and the abs module.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey - Do a google search on any gmc product and airbag light. It's a pretty common issue. There are some connections under the front seats that you can try to disconnect and reconnect. They are pretty unprotected. There are also some connections in the front driver side panel that you can also try checking out for all your other symptoms. Never happened on my burb but once on my acadia (which is long gone), I had the airbag light go on and also started having issues with my steering wheel controls. Gotta love GMC quality.

rogerwa

Commander
I can't complain about quality. It is 10 years old, has 180K miles and I have done reasonably little on it. Brakes, water pump (2), Steering pump, wheel hubs, intake gasket, plugs, and a tranny rebuild. All in all extermely reliable.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have an aftermarket alarm try disconnecting it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can't read the codes for that with out a code reader that reads the GM specific codes. A generic code reader won't work.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
It have remote keyless entry? Check the connections to that module.

rogerwa

Commander
I reseated the connections under the seats and my wife has not had it happen again. So far. With any luck one of the connectors was a little loose. I am not confident that this was it, but you never know..