2004 Ford Expedition rear CV axle

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I know there is a fair # of people on here who drive Expeditions and I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with replacing a rear CV axle seal. I'm running short on time to do it myself and I've called quite a few shops to get quotes and they're saying anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours for the repair, and anywhere from $150 to $400. Ouch! The independent rear suspension and CV axle thing seems to throw them for a curve and I'm pretty sure a couple have given quotes for the wrong job as the books don't seem to specify a rear CV axle seal replacement and they all seem confused by it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Thanks for that link, I actually tagged that one but reading it again I found some info I missed the first time. I'm thinking I'll just keep topping it off and do it in a couple weeks when I have time. I was able to verify that the differential cover doesn't have to come off and that's huge, it's listed as a 3 1/2 hour job just to replace the rear dif seal. The rear end literally seems to be built into and around the differential. What a PITA! I'd love to have a shop that I could trust.