Goodman packaged heatpump

bigdee

Commander
Anyone have any experience with Goodman PACKAGED heatpumps? I will be needing to replace an old 4 ton split system soon and would prefer a package unit because of limited crawlspace. I have had very good service out of goodman split system heatpumps but have never used a packaged unit. The ductwork needs to be replaced anyway and I like the idea of everything being easily accessible.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just remember you get what you pay for. They are contractor grade units. They also make Amana...As a professional I wouldn't use anything but trane or carrier. Personally when my 2 carrier heat pump split systems die I am going to put a single variable refrigerant flow S series Mitsubishi system piped to 2 air handlers in parallel. One compressor, variable flow, variable tonnage indoor units, installed myself will pay for it self in 3 1/2 years.

bigdee

Commander
Just remember you get what you pay for. They are contractor grade units. They also make Amana...As a professional I wouldn't use anything but trane or carrier. Personally when my 2 carrier heat pump split systems die I am going to put a single variable refrigerant flow S series Mitsubishi system piped to 2 air handlers in parallel. One compressor, variable flow, variable tonnage indoor units, installed myself will pay for it self in 3 1/2 years.

Appreciate the reply. I may go with Trane if close in price. I used to be a electrical/HVAC contractor years ago and have seen many Goodman/Janitrol installs,some are still working after 27 years. That was before R-410 and evaporator leaks so I don't know where they really stand now. I have Goodman units in my family now,3 are residential and one is commercial. Their ages vary from 3 to 18 years and have ran flawless. The reports of evaporator leaks is what I am concerned with. The unit that I plan to replace is a 43 year old Lennox (its still running!)

southkogs

Staff member
Hey Bigdee: I replaced my Goodman a coupla' years ago with a Heil (HERE is the topic). Both are supposedly lower end units, but the Goodman ran like a champ for 16 years and the Heil hasn't hiccuped since we put it in.

Dunno' if that helps ya' at all.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Running after x years isn't reference..... I had a 20 year old Lennox that ran "flawless" as well, or so I thought. Installed a new Trane SHEER unit and couldn't believe the difference. Day and night

bigdee

Commander
Running after x years isn't reference..... I had a 20 year old Lennox that ran "flawless" as well, or so I thought. Installed a new Trane SHEER unit and couldn't believe the difference. Day and night

That is my reason for replacing it. OLD unit was 6 seer when new (probably less now) 5 ton split AC with 30 kw electric air handler. I want to replace with 4 ton 13 seer packaged heatpump. By my calculations I will cut my combined AC and heating costs by 1/2.

bigdee

Commander

I received quote today and there was only $100 difference between Goodman and Trane. So Trane it is!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Stay with a split system. Better energy efficiency, and airflow. Go with a Carrier or one of their other brands. Bryant, Heil, and Payne are all made by Carrier. 15 seer units are worth the extra bucks over a 13 seer. We're a Factory authorized Carrier dealer, but I service all brands. Goodman, AKA Janitrol and Amana have had some evap coil leaks, but so has everyone. Carrier and Trane have been building R-410a units since around 1996 so they have the most experience of any of the manufacturers. However Trane units as well as top of the line Carriers are pricey.

bigdee

Commander
Stay with a split system. Better energy efficiency, and airflow. Go with a Carrier or one of their other brands. Bryant, Heil, and Payne are all made by Carrier. 15 seer units are worth the extra bucks over a 13 seer. We're a Factory authorized Carrier dealer, but I service all brands. Goodman, AKA Janitrol and Amana have had some evap coil leaks, but so has everyone. Carrier and Trane have been building R-410a units since around 1996 so they have the most experience of any of the manufacturers. However Trane units as well as top of the line Carriers are pricey.

Yes I know,but a split system would be difficult because of limited crawlspace. I prefer the 13 seer because of simplicity, the GE x13 variable speed motor($1000) used on ALL brands 14 seer and above is a piece of crap that seldom lasts more than 5 years. The savings gained from 3 more seer can go out the window in higher maintenance.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had something before the last post saying carrier and ICP are different and I wasn't sure what the relationship was, then I looked it up and edited my post and the old one got lost and replaced by what's above... I a nutshell I was trying to say split / package there are pros and cons to each and I would rather have a package unit. Less human error. Ps saying the top info is mostly correct referred to my original post and it having an error that I tried to correct. Nothing about the poster above me being correct or not.

Last edited: