Universal Garage Door Keypads...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
HI guys. I've got a Craftsman belt-drive door opener, which works just fine. But the keypad that came with it was always erratic. Seemed to require that you really force the number keys in, and then wait a couple of seconds between numbers when keying in. And even then it sometimes didn't take and the process had to be repeated. Bought another Sears universal keypad - same thing. Got the original about ten years ago - got the replacement about five years ago.

Now I'm out of patience with it. When I need to use it, it frustrates terribly, and I can't give the number to one of my kids without detailed instructions on how to punch it in. The door works just fine with the hardwired buttons.

Can anyone recommend a universal keypad of some other make?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sears buys their openers from chamerlain. they are about $30 on amazon. you have two types, security and security plus

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I purchased a universal wireless keypad from Lowes. Just program it for your current opener and you are good to go. And fwiw mine has been running on the same battery since I installed it several years ago.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Mine acts erratic too, I find if I push enter before keying in a code it works better.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
The one I have is a Chamberlain item #: 349706 | Model #: 940EV . My openers are Stanley and it works great.

generator12

Thanks L.T. I'll get to Lowes this afternoon and see what they have.

Much appreciated.

NYBo

Admiral
Have you replaced the 9v battery in the inside unit?

generator12

Well, so much for that! Picked up a Chamberlain 940EV, stuck a new battery into it - no communication with the Craftsman opener...! The Chamberlain site is useless as it doesn't list the 940EV in the list of products about which you can communicate. (Quite stupid.) It does show this model as compatible with an opener that has the yellow "learn button", which mine has, but it's still no-go. So I'm back to the erratic Sears unit until I can identify something else.

Thanks guys.

generator12

Ah ha! Success! Got a "Clicker" universal, programmed it, and it works perfectly. (Model "KLIK2U", believe it or not...) Made by Chamberlain.

Yaay!!

Last edited: