Any Savage Axis XP rifle owners out there?

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I've wanted to buy a .308 Bolt action for a while and today I came across a brand new in the box Savage Axis XP with a cheaper Bushnell 3-9x40 scope for $220. This one doesn't have the adjustable trigger or the accu stock but at that price I almost walked out of the store with it. Anybody have any experience with one in any caliber? It's supposed to be the same barrel as their higher end lines.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've got that rifle in the camo stock and SS barrel. Mine came with the same Bushnell scope as well. I've enjoyed the rifle and found it to group quite well. The Bushnell scope is garbage and can't handle the recoil of the .308 as mine dropped the reticle lens after about 10 rounds. The lens actually came loose and fell down within the barrel of the scope. I sent the whole package back to Savage and they put a new scope on it. Once I received it back I promptly removed the scope and installed a Millett Tactical Scope which I very much enjoy. I routinely group at 1/4" MOA at 100 yards.

$220 is a great price as I paid about $350 for mine with the SS barrel. The only negatives I've found is that the bolt is a bit sloppy in the action, the trigger is a bit too heavy (close to 7 lbs I'd guess), and the magazine which came with the rifle cracked at the base thereby refusing to chamber rounds correctly. The sloppy bolt isn't a problem - just an observation as compared to a Remington 700 - but that's a totally different price category too... The magazine was frustrating but Savage sent me two new ones - they obviously recognize the fault and hopefully have fixed whatever the fault was. Lastly, the sear can be polished and springs replaced by any smith to relax the trigger -on the positive side there is no slop or slack in the motion of the trigger.

.308 vs 30.06 - I went back and forth on this a lot. The .308 is more accurate but honestly its not going to make that big of a difference unless you are shooting 500 yards plus, as I believe the 30.06 has about a 10% larger group than that of the .308 at 100 yards- hardly anything to be concerned about. Really boils down to quality ammo anyway - a match 30.06 will outshoot a garbage .308 round. Plus, the 30.06 seems to be more plentiful in my neck of the woods as well. Not that .308 isn't available, but you have more vendor selection with the 30.06.

If I had to do it again, I'd choose the same rifle for the price still in a .308.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
My savage 30-06 with added Nikon scope is just fine for a deer rifle, does everything I ask of it. I think the trigger is a bit heavy as others have mentioned, but for $220 I would be grabbing that baby, I think I paid about $400 with a walnut stock and brand new about 8 years ago, standard barrel. My trigger is at 6 lbs,

froghill

Cadet
I have exact same as OP. Wifeys rifle and after dropping trigger weight,she shoots great groups. Upgrade of scope eventually as $ allow.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Thanks for the replies! With how long this thread lasted on the first page with no replies I was worried that the upgrades on here had scared everybody away! I went to the store and looked at the rifle once and almost bought it. Then I noticed, ironically since this is a boating forum, 2 Kayaks that my kids will love and I left with them instead. Now I can't get that rifle out of my mind. They're limiting the sale price to stock on hand which is a .308, a .270 and a .243.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'd go for it if you have the funds - its a good rifle and deer season is upon us!

legend 550

Cadet
No Title

Have the .223 Axis with a Boyds thumb hole stock. Trigger mods are on the net got mine down to a crisp 2 1/2 # pull excellent rifle for the money.quarter size groups at 100 yds. rifle shoots better than I can.

Attachments

• photo207327.jpg
    photo207327.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: