Monitor Problem........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
DELL E196FP No display. Power light keeps blinking off and on. Hooked up wifes monitor with her cords. Works fine. Hooked up problem monitor with her cords, same issue. Monitor shot?

southkogs

Staff member
Hook the Dell monitor to wife's computer just to confirm, but I think it's probably dead.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The wife is in town and the cheapest she can find is $100. It's a secondary computer at best and don't want to spend even that much. Bet there's a bunch of good monitors at our local transfer site waiting to be destroyed....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't forget Goodwill as a possible source for a used monitor.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I was at a Goodwill store the other day, they had dozens of monitors for $12.99 each.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The only things I have had go on LCD monitors is either the inverter, or the backlight, both of them will cause what Wim is describing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When my caps went, I had exactly what Musky has. Blinking power light, or the amber for standby until it finally quit turning on.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I was at a Goodwill store the other day, they had dozens of monitors for $12.99 each.

Now that's a price I would pay. Usually we're dropping a bunch of stuff off, maybe it's time to buy. They're probably begging people to buy monitors. I'm sure there is not much call for them.....

southkogs

Staff member
... don't forget to pass by the local pawn shop if the Goodwill doesn't have 'em. Generally they have whole computer setups, but sometimes they have some nice monitors sitting there for not much.

rogerwa

Commander
Probably part of the Great Capacitor Plague - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague. The wiki has some pics of failed caps. I had my ACER monitor go bad 2 years ago and got a repair kit from this guy on ebay (your kit) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Kit-DELL-e196fpf-LCD-Monitor-Capacitors-/330499791164 13 bucks and free shipping. Mine is still working great, using it now to see this.

Had one of these myself. Had it apart and was going to repair it but I took the opportunity to upgrade instead..

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do this test to determine if its the back lamps or the display board - with the monitor powered on and the computer pushing an image, darken the room and take a flash light at a 45 degree angle to the screen - do you see an image? If so, the back lamp is shot which can be replaced.

If you still do not see an image with the flashlight the display board is often shot, which can also be replaced. With the low cost of LCD screens now they can be found pretty cheap.

I'll also add because of the related topic, if you have a Samsung LCD TV and it won't power on, you might be suffering from bad capacitors which the Samsung line has had an ongoing problem with. I've fixed about 20 TV's of various sizes and they all have failed due to the same problem - one or two bad caps on the display board. A bad cap can "usually" be identified by examining the top of the barrel to see if its raised. A bad cap doesn't always rise but a cap that has risen will almost certainly be bad. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
So far Goodwill doesn't have any. The wife has another one to check. I bet a lot of these place don't even take them in, otherwise, they would end up with a mountain of outdated electronics, basically a dumping ground. If she can't find a used one I told her just go buy the cheapest new one she can find..... I need to see if I can convert a bunch of my xp files to win 8..

Here's the error I get when trying to update my form.... Moved file from xp machine to win8 machine.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
XP and 8 are operating systems, not applications that produce data files. Where are the files in question located and where are you trying to move them? What versions of MS Word are involved?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I understand 8 and XP are operating systems, I was generalizing about and old system compared to a new system. XP I believe the documents were created under MS Works and 8 is MS Word within the MS Office 2010 package... I need Word on my new system to recognize/convert the Works documents...

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Heck if I know NYBo! So, I download the file on my Win8 machine. When I transfer the Works files from my XP machine to my Win8 they will auto convert so I can use Word?

Wife bought a 23" widescreen monitor. Since she telecommutes, her company supplies everything she needs as if she was at corporate. This new screen is better than what she has, so I think we'll hook it up to her computer and I'll take her company supplied monitor and hook it up to my XP machine that rarely gets used anymore. She might as well have the nice monitor.....

Last edited: