Cleaned the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor . . .

robert graham

Admiral
I don't know how to post photos, but on my Buick it's about a 4 inch square aluminum item that sits in the air flow between the air filter housing and the rest of the intake....unit has a label on it with arrows indicating air flow direction.....car runs like a top, but I'd be glad to clean this thing if it would help anything....I understand there are special spray cleaners specifically just for these....sorta like carb cleaner I guess?....

tpenfield

Staff member
My 1996 Buick 350 LT-1 has something that looks like a mass air flow unit on the intake.....at 186,000 miles, should I remove and clean this item....car seems to run fine, but maybe I need to do this?....what you guys think?....

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
You have a MAP.

According to this the 1996 LT-1 engine has a MAF not a MAP . . .

http://www.underhoodservice.com/tech...ow-technology/

Some information indicates that GM switched from SD control to MAF in about 1994 on the LT-1 . . . . So, Robert, you may have a MAF on your 1996 LT-1

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I don't know how to post photos, but on my Buick it's about a 4 inch square aluminum item that sits in the air flow between the air filter housing and the rest of the intake....unit has a label on it with arrows indicating air flow direction.....car runs like a top, but I'd be glad to clean this thing if it would help anything....I understand there are special spray cleaners specifically just for these....sorta like carb cleaner I guess?....

Yes, from what I researched, you want to use the correct cleaner on a MAF, otherwise you may damage the sensor. They are a bit pricey if you have to replace one. :rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Some information indicates that GM switched from SD control to MAF in about 1994 on the LT-1 . . . . So, Robert, you may have a MAF on your 1996 LT-1
I was going on what Rockauto listed for a 1996 Road Disaster. :)

Fun Times

Staff member
Sounds like your engine model has a MAF sensor.

The 92–93 LT1s used speed density fuel management, batch-fire fuel injection and a dedicated Engine Control Module (ECM). In 94 the LT1 switched to a mass airflow sensor and sequential port injection.]
< Information source, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...l-block_engine

You'll want to keep in mind that MAF sensor service maintenance schedule intervals seems to vary only by opinion probably because most manufacturers say it's not recommended to clean the delicate wires of the sensor, only replace.
http://massairflowsensors.org/?page_id=16

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe I'll just leave that sleeping dog lie....if it screws up I'll replace it. I've had really great service from all my small block chevy motors....ran 347,000 on my 1979 Oldsmobile 98....

tpenfield

Staff member
Maybe I'll just leave that sleeping dog lie....if it screws up I'll replace it. I've had really great service from all my small block chevy motors....ran 347,000 on my 1979 Oldsmobile 98....

Yea, if it ain't broke, don't fix it . . .

The only reason that I messed with my MAF sensor is that the performance degradation of the past few years was quite noticeable. The CEL light would come on every so often, as I was getting "running rich at idle" codes that I would need to clear with my OBD2 code reader.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If it looks like this you have a MAF. Wonder why Rockauto had it wrong.
F17828374.jpg

You want to only use a cleaner like this:
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mas...F8&qid=1408461706&sr=8-1&keywords=maf+cleaner

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Rock auto probably had the configuration at the early years of the engine series, when it was Speed Density, and did not change it.