110V Wire Feed Welders- Opinions Needed

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
I was doing some work on a trailer today and my Harbor Freight 90amp flux core died, up until now, it has done what I needed it to do. It was the wire feed selector/circuit board broke, kinda my fault . So I am now in the market for a light duty, 110/120v, sub $350 wire feed welder. I like the idea of being able to do both MIG and flux-core as most of my welding with this machine will be outdoors. I am a student and in a welding program, so I have access to anything from gas welders to pipeliners to syncrowaves and Dynasty 350's, so when I need a real welder I can get a hold of one. Right now I want to spend around $250 to $300 my MAX MAX budget is $350, some of the welders that have caught my eye are a Northern Industrial 135, Eastwood MIG 135 (my favorite at the moment), and a Lincoln Handy MIG. I might just buy another Harbor Freight 90 amp special. I know they are all made in China, you get what you pay for, but I am just looking for something inexpensive until I graduate college and get some money together to buy a gas drive unit like a Ranger. There is next to nothing for sale used in my area.

Luke000

I have it narrowed down to two welders-
Hobart Handler 125 refurb 500495 for $295
and the Eastwood MIG 135 for $300
I cant decide, I like the Hobart name but I like that the eastwood has good reviews from users and comes with a gas regulator and has an infinite adjustment for the voltage and wire speed- the hobart has a 4 preset for the voltage

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Check out weldingweb.com

Personally, I like infinite wire speed and voltage adjustments.

For trailer work, depending on what you are doing, you really need a 220V welder.

Luke000

Check out weldingweb.com

Personally, I like infinite wire speed and voltage adjustments.

For trailer work, depending on what you are doing, you really need a 220V welder.

Weldingweb got me thinking the Eastwood 135 unit, But it also got me looking at a longevity 140 MIG unit. It is almost the same as the Eastwood but has metal drive system and is spool gun capable. It is slightly more expensive at about $350

Luke000

The welding on my trailer I am doing is just going to be fender mounts, a light bracket, a jack mount, and some small tie down anchors to replace some rusted out 1/4" eye bolts. So no big frame jobs or axles- that is when I would bring it into my shop and use a big unit.

Luke000

FWIW, I ended up purchasing the Longevity MIGweld 140. It is a very similar machine to the Eastwood 135, but this model has an option to run a spool gun for aluminum welding. The best price I found was calling Longevity directly and speaking to a sales rep- they will get you fixed up right for a good price. I also found out that they are now have made an updated version from when it originally came out with a metal wire feed mech instead of a plastic one that seemed to have been getting the bulk of bad points about this machine. It should be here thursday and Ill update with my feeling once I see it in person and make some sparks!